WIA near Otis?

John

WIA near Otis vs. Burlington?

Are the WIA properties around Otis (near Yuma) worth checking out? How about Burlington? PM me if you have any info you would like to share. Thank You.

Last edited:
Blah

I was out in the WIA near Stratton last weekend and it was truly the worst habitat I have seen. We ended up driving up to Joe's (Yuma) to hunt instead. The wind was blowing constantly and we just had a rough day. The area around Stratton did not look good though as their were no food plots just some grass fields surrounded by dirt. I am taking the day off tomorrow and thinking about heading up to Yuma or Brush. Anyone interested in going? As of now its just me.

Wow, I was in Stratton also to pick up one of my buddies before heading east.
In his field we jumped over 50 birds.(thanks for saving it until I got there)
The name of the game is find the cover and go into it from a different direction. Don't do the same old thing like everybody else,the birds are used to it and have practiced there get away routes.

We only have a few more day to go in Colorado. I have a kennel full of boaring dogs so I can't get away to far or long so I'm going to give Colorado a try tomorrow. I've only been out 2x in Colorado. Did Yuma for a half day limit and Stratton for an hr. with the P.F. Reps. I shot one bird over point and the other two guy's shot 2-3 ea. It was crazy but it also was private grounds.

Be sure to go to the sportsmans show (ISE) next weekend and stop by the Pheasants Forever booth and sign up. We need everybody help bring back better habitat and birds. They have really done a great job the last few yrs. and it's starting to show here in Co.

Quail are for countin and PHEASANTS ARE FOR SHOOTIN

It's not that I didn't see any good habitat around Stratton but it was all private land. The WIA is what I had a problem with. We seriously drove past several fields that were WIA that were nothing more than dirt. Saw plenty of private fields with corn and other crops that looked great but nothing to brag about with WIA.

Heading up to Brush this Saturday or Yuma county, haven't decided. I will definetly be heading to the Sportsman's expo. I saw a few fields adopted by PF when I was up in Statton. Look forward to hearing what they say.

Rindneck your right most of the walk in areas near Stratton are bad. I did see a group of roosters going into the walk in that is directly south of town last Saturday afternoon. Getting permission has been pretty easy lately, you just have to start knocking on doors. The birds are spotty, but when you find them there has been good numbers.......Van

Back