Who's hunting (rain or shine)?

wapsijim

Sounds like a crappy weather start for the season opener in Iowa this Saturday. I may wait until Sunday after church to get out, maybe Saturday PM if it quits raining(eastern Iowa). But I'm really anxious to get out! I suppose the rain won't stop a lot of folks will it?

We are going to make a few little short runs if it is raining hard. Have to quit at noon anyways to get to Ames for a little tailgating.

I will be taking my son out again this weekend, last weekends youth season was a complete bust for us. I'm hoping the added hunters move some birds around.

Rain, snow or hot weather

My group will be out no matter what the weather is. Be safe and happy hunting to everyone.

I don't get to wound up about openers anymore. I usually let the out of staters have it the first couple weekends. Besides, it's usually to warm for my dog. On the upside. I'll be off of work from November 11th through January 4th. Should give me a little time to bag a few roosters.

My son and I hunted the Le Mars / Owens area today and just like last weekends youth season we didn't see much for birds. Glad to hear others are doing well and seeing birds.

Just a quick followup. I did get out Sunday in NE IA and took two roosters out of one group. My Draht was pointing up on a weedy rock pile and I got two easy shots. One from the first flush of about 7 or 8 birds, and one was that last bird who elected to try to wait it out! I missed another bird in a ditch which would have made a limit, but overall I was very pleased with my day.

I managed 1 rooster Saturday morning before receiving a call from the wife needing to go to ER. Was still at hospital on Sunday. Damn you, kidney stone!

We hunted in the rain Saturday. Rain is why they make Gore-tex. No worries and really happy with a limit of birds.

We hunted in the rain Saturday. Rain is why they make Gore-tex. No worries and really happy with a limit of birds.

If you don't mind me asking; how hard was it'll raining and what type of cover were you flushing them from? Also, how tight did the sit for you?

Thank you.
Nick

If you don't mind me asking; how hard was it'll raining and what type of cover were you flushing them from? Also, how tight did the sit for you?

Thank you.
Nick

It was a steady rain for a while, light, more than a drizzle, but not hard.

The pheasants acted like you'd expect them to. 100 yards out from the vehicles and we had birds going out 100-200 yards away. Of course, there's always the stupid ones that stay put. A few spots we watched 10-20 hens and roosters flying out way ahead, but Max pointed a couple when we got to that spot. And a lot of runners he finally pinned after chases up to 1/4 mile.

One scenario: Max goes on point at the far end of a small red maple thicket along a stream. I go through the thicket, one guy right, two left. As I near the dog, one goes right - boom. A couple more steps, one goes left - boom. A couple more steps and one flushes right in front of me, goes straight out and - boom. We start going toward our dead birds and a fourth goes straight out behind me that I walked right by - boom. 4 roosters, 4 shots, over one point. That's great stuff! My first one landed in the stream and I even got a water retrieve out of my setter.

We hunted a lot of marshy/grassy cover along or near water. This was our best hunt since we've been going. We're already talking about next year. In the meantime I'm back to chasing grouse here in WI. Max pointed 5 grouse and a lone woodcock Saturday. Grouse were getting out way ahead, woodcock season is closed and I didn't fire a shot.

Back