Whew!!

KBell

We will experience a very tough year this year--tougher than last!:(

My son and I worked varying cover today-brome grass, crp, waterways, drainage ditches and yes--I even broke down and walked some standing corn.:)

Here is your breakdown. It would be pleasant to state the birds are in the corn or were not active due to windy conditions. Truth is, there were simply not signs of birds being active in the cover we hunted. We encountered nests, droppings, tracks and feathers in only two areas. The same two areas that we saw birds. 8 hours and fifteen minutes of hunting yielded(we did not stop for lunch) a grand total of 11 hen flushes and 5 roosters. Two of the roosters were this year's bird and we harvested both of them from Sophie's points. We saw 2 birds per hour.

We encountered areas last year void of birds and bird sign spread out over the season. 7 of our nine areas today were void.

We encountered 4 other groups of hunters and they were without birds. One group of nine leaving state ground of considerable size put up one hen in 4 hours of hunting. A call to the area game warden--friend of my cousin provided that he saw 4 birds today harvested by the 14 groups that he checked.

The crown and coke I am sipping on is aiding my writing of this day's breakdown. May have another!:)

I am not out for the numbers and I enjoy the time with my son.:) I get why we hunt:) I plan on golfing tomorrow:)

Kbell - Nate is back, check that other thread.

Discouraging to hear your report, but not so much that I wont be going out. I am very much looking forward to getting up there in a few weeks and seeing how the bird numbers look where I usually chase them.

By the way, what part of the state did you spend your day today? Sip that Crown and coke slowly, it is a nice way to end a long day of hunting!

our group was VERY surprised today 13 of us who always get together on opener were expecting very little action. we managed 15 roosters today saw a lot more that flew to standing corn. we only hunted 1/2 day. saw very few hunters. we could of had several more roosters our shooting wasn't the best today.

Waiting

Hello IA at Heart,

It's 9:33 and 44 degrees. I am waiting for it to hit 50 degrees and it is off to the course I go. Hopefully will find the birdies easier to get today!:)

We were in the Rock Valley area yesterday. Lots of black soil and decent bird numbers here last year. Early spring rains took their reproductive tolls.

Blackcloud I am pleased that you did well. I don't have to tell you to enjoy the moment. I believe birds will be extremely hit and miss this year. I will venture out again--not enough willpower not too!:)--gained 2 more degrees now, time to lace up the shoes!

Similar experience for me, KBell. Frustrating to say the least!

This said ... I'm heading back out around noon today. Trying the Jamaica area, which while not great last year, usually produced a couple roosters.

I'll report back. Plan to be afield 2-3 hours.

Hunted one field. One hour. Saw 3 roosters, one a repeat I believe, and two hens. All young birds. Late hatch this year.

Gunner pointed two of the roosters, my buddy connecting on one. Was too hot (63 degrees) for bird hunting.

Called it a day ... came home to carve six pumpkins with the kids and just settled in to watch a bit of football before dinner.

Missed you friend!

Hello Nate,

I have missed you friend! Golfed 27 holes with my two sons this afternoon. Believe it or not we were ready to drive on hole #4 when my son shouted out two pheasant were running across the green. Sure enough, when we arrived two shots later(par 5 hole) the two young hens flushed from under an evergreen and flew back into the standing corn next to the fairway.

I commented to my youngest son that was 20% of the total we saw yesterday in 8 1/2 hours of hunting.:)

More standing corn and beans in central Iowa where I live than out West. It will be another two weeks here before I can share any reliable reports of sightings and numbers.

Planning the Gilbert area hunt for this week. Reports I am getting are not good! Very surprising reports of few birds where there have been historically more and then an occasional more where there have been historically few.:eek:

Yes ... happy to have season upon us again, even with the difficult start.

Jamaica area still had most corn standing too. The farmers were picking like crazy, and with the predicted rain this week, I imagine they'll go double time.

Another observation today ... the ears of corn on the ground looked terrible. The yield this year has got to be way down. Planted late due to rain, then no rain when it was needed.

Back