When to plant Sorghum

Bob Peters

For land in the southern tier of MN, roughly on a line parallel with Mankato, what is the general time of year to try and plant a sorghum foodplot? Any advice welcome. I'd like to get one going that looks like this. Sorghum with nice grass cover mixed in. I'm not even sure what the grass is, but I know a biologist I am gonna call and ask him. Thanks in advance. 1679508396706.jpeg that

Plant sorghum when the soil temperature is 60-65 degrees (top 3 inches). usually, mid April to May
Soil temperature will vary with amount of residue present.
I farm around Pierre SD and I plant my fields/food plots toward the end of May.
The sorghum should be planted 1 to 1 1/2 in deep. That probably will be too deep for the grass seed, which should be planted 1/2 in or less.
I would be cautious about planting an unknown type of seed...

After looking at your photo a little closer, the grass looks like Green Foxtail, which is considered a weed.
It will cut your grain yield considerably. It can be controlled with a pre-emergent chemical.
But at least mother nature gives it out free.

For land in the southern tier of MN, roughly on a line parallel with Mankato, what is the general time of year to try and plant a sorghum foodplot? Any advice welcome. I'd like to get one going that looks like this. Sorghum with nice grass cover mixed in. I'm not even sure what the grass is, but I know a biologist I am gonna call and ask him. Thanks in advance. View attachment 5470 that
Really nice photo

Soil temp is the key, We have planted Sorghum on the fourth of July and still had good hunting, granted it was on a wet year and on ground that the soybeans didn't come up. We have planted sorghum in six, twelve and eighteen inch widths, Pheasants love the ability to run down the rows even if they are tight. Plus a little more separation lets the plant grow a little taller in my opinion. We attempt to plant sorghum around our areas we didn't get planted to row crops, if its still to wet after the 4th of July we shift to radishes and turnips in late July early August.

Wait until the local farmers are planting soybeans. If you don't use the pre-emergent herbicide for grass, it will look like that...there isn't much food in that pic. Use the herbicide, there will be plenty of weeds/grass that will come up later. Good pic though!

I don't know what equipment you have or the type/condition of your field, this info is what I've picked up over years of planting Sorghum(milo) for cash crop, food plots and local hunting preserves
-Equipment.. check with your local soil conservation district. They might have drills, sprayers, tractors, drivers you can hire or rent.
Drill works best for food plots. Can get 7 1/2 or 15 inch rows. Get canopy closure faster, (ground shaded, less weed emergence. 7 1/2", can get a little tangle footed. 30" (planter) rows wider, less cover. 15" good compromise.
Planter will work, you need sorghum cups/plates to plant with.
-Chemicals.. roundup for burndown, Dual, atrazine for pre-emergence weed control. Mix can be put on prior to or right after planting (day or two).
The last two are restricted use , need an applicators license, or hire it done. Round up alone, burn down 3 weeks prior, right after planting. Want field clean as possible.
-Planting rate.. I shoot for 60-65,000 live plants per acre, planting 70-75,000 seeds, with 85% germination rate, around 5lbs. Look at seed tag to see how many seeds per pound and germination rate. to get pounds to plant. Higher rates given by seed companies are for maximum grain, production, no tillers, quick dry down. Will have thinner stalks. Lower rate will have thicker stalks, more tillers (more cover) and stand up better in winter. Avoid, if possible free bags of milo with tags removed. Usually left over stuff from Texas. Won't mature before freezing, don't know what your getting.
Soil temp 60-65 degrees, 1 -1 1/2in deep.
Good Luck!

For land in the southern tier of MN, roughly on a line parallel with Mankato, what is the general time of year to try and plant a sorghum foodplot? Any advice welcome. I'd like to get one going that looks like this. Sorghum with nice grass cover mixed in. I'm not even sure what the grass is, but I know a biologist I am gonna call and ask him. Thanks in advance. View attachment 5470 that
I don’t know what grass that is, but I love the picture! Thanks for sharing.

Back