What's for dinner??

A5 Sweet 16

So I was out & about in one of my favorite areas yesterday. Roads were iffy. Some you could get through. Many were closed do to water.

But something was conspicuously absent........corn & beans.

I mean to say there was VERY little of ANYTHING that got planted in the area, other than some cover vegetation here & there. Typically, an hour before sunset this time of year, you know where the birds will be on most days.....in the corn (or beans if there's no corn in the area). Well, that's impossible in this area right now. I presume the birds will still follow roughly the same schedule they do every other year, just picking around wherever they can find some grub.

Question: With no corn & beans around, what will these birds be eating this winter??? I'm guessing it might get pretty meager.

mortality likely to be pretty high when real cold weather sets in.....although some birds will make a short migration, if there is any corn in the proximity. corn provides the fuel they need to survive the really cold periods.....going to likely be a tough one this go round.

I'm sure its different across the state, but my observations and thoughts were in the opposite direction where we hunt (N Central): Lots of corn and beans standing - very green and in soggy fields - possibly not to going to be harvested this year. So lots of cover and lots of food should help winter mortality.

And yes - Roads are iffy. 4WD required even on 'good' gravel roads when it was raining. Did not attempt anything that looked like minimum maintenance. Hoping things will dry out a bit before the hoards of hunters get out - could really do some damage to soft roads.

I'm sure its different across the state, but my observations and thoughts were in the opposite direction where we hunt (N Central): Lots of corn and beans standing - very green and in soggy fields - possibly not to going to be harvested this year. So lots of cover and lots of food should help winter mortality.

One farmer I talked to last week said there would for sure be corn left to stand in the field to be combined in the spring. I would agree that should help with birds making it through the winter.

Back