What I saw in MN after Noah's flood

Bob Peters

I did some gravel roadin' last week through a bunch of counties either on the way to fishing or just looking at hunting habitat. MN counties Rice, LeSueur, Waseca, Blue Earth, Faribault, Scott, and Nicollet. Obviously some nests got soaked, and a few chicks lost. But all in all things looked good. Many public land spots should be in good shape. Large blocks of land with lots of undisturbed grassland gives the hens lots of nesting options. The cover looks good already since the droughts long over, and I think many nests would be made in spots that didn't flood. Also plenty of time and spots to re-nest. The insects are as thick as they've been in a long time, so plenty of protein for chicks that hatch. I saw lots of old roosters for this area, the kind that can give you fits come October but put a smile on your face if you get one in the vest. We haven't had any unusually cold weather around peak hatch, so this is a plus.

The negatives with the monsoon would be on marginal private land. Places with the only cover being buffers along creeks, marshes, or fencelines offer less nesting site selection and can be more subject to flooding vs. large block habitat.

I talked to my uncle and a few weeks ago he saw a hen off the driveway with a couple chicks around her, and looking back into the tall grass like more of her brood was in there. One things for sure, I never tire of hearing pheasant info like this. I took Roxy out fishing on the 4th and learned that she's not only a great hunting buddy, but a great fishing partner too.
Screenshot_20240704_214434_Gallery.jpg

I did some gravel roadin' last week through a bunch of counties either on the way to fishing or just looking at hunting habitat. MN counties Rice, LeSueur, Waseca, Blue Earth, Faribault, Scott, and Nicollet. Obviously some nests got soaked, and a few chicks lost. But all in all things looked good. Many public land spots should be in good shape. Large blocks of land with lots of undisturbed grassland gives the hens lots of nesting options. The cover looks good already since the droughts long over, and I think many nests would be made in spots that didn't flood. Also plenty of time and spots to re-nest. The insects are as thick as they've been in a long time, so plenty of protein for chicks that hatch. I saw lots of old roosters for this area, the kind that can give you fits come October but put a smile on your face if you get one in the vest. We haven't had any unusually cold weather around peak hatch, so this is a plus.

The negatives with the monsoon would be on marginal private land. Places with the only cover being buffers along creeks, marshes, or fencelines offer less nesting site selection and can be more subject to flooding vs. large block habitat.

I talked to my uncle and a few weeks ago he saw a hen off the driveway with a couple chicks around her, and looking back into the tall grass like more of her brood was in there. One things for sure, I never tire of hearing pheasant info like this. I took Roxy out fishing on the 4th and learned that she's not only a great hunting buddy, but a great fishing partner too.
View attachment 8374
Bob, I admire your optimism, but in this case I am skeptical. I agree the flooding is likely only a localized problem, and the grasslands are thick and full of bugs. But I am quite concerned the cool and very wet weather during the peak of the hatch will result in poor production.
I am rooting for your optimistic outcome!

Bob, I admire your optimism, but in this case I am skeptical. I agree the flooding is likely only a localized problem, and the grasslands are thick and full of bugs. But I am quite concerned the cool and very wet weather during the peak of the hatch will result in poor production.
Yup, you could be right for sure, it may have been a tough hatch this year. I guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to be optimistic. I'm sure some spots will see a dip in population and have tougher hunting. But with the mild winter and high carryover, other spots with good grass on higher ground might see a very healthy population of birds. I guess that means I'll have to do some preseason scouting :).

havent seen much for broods in west central mn. I did see a hen with 1 chick but there could have been a thousand more in the long grass that I couldnt see. My trail cameras have picked up roosters, but very few hens so they are probably still not moving much on my place.

Yeah that was my main concern too, not so much the flooding but more the pounding of cold heavy rain to the babies

Back