Western Colorado

cpiquette

I live out in the Grand Junction area and I am trying to get into bird hunting. I have a 10 month old lab that I am currently trying to train myself and I am looking for any suggestions of places to hunt on this side of the state.

Last edited:
There are some pheasants over there in and around the Agg fields. I have hunted on private just South of Montrose and done well. There were some quail there as well. Find some corn and alfalfa and there should be a few. May catch some in the sage on Blm next to the agg. Book Cliffs have some Chukar just North of you. Other then that it is pretty limited for Pheasant in that country. Probably some around Olathe as well.:cheers:

I live out in the Grand Junction area and I am trying to get into bird hunting. I have a 10 month old lab that I am currently trying to train myself and I am looking for any suggestions of places to hunt on this side of the state.

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help you on birds out your way. I have tried blue grouse south of Grand Junction, but no success. I do elk hunt near you with some success.

Always buy a whole box of Olathe Sweet. Best I have ever had.:cheers:

That is the truth.

My late brother bought a whole box, actually more than that. He borrowed my 20 foot flatbed trailer with side boards and brought it back to Dodge full of Olathe corn and sold it on the street here in Dodge.

Oh, the Palisade peaches.:10sign:

We stopped at Hudson's in Palisade a many years ago. It was self-help honor system. We went in and saw that and paused a moment. About that time Mr. Hudson came in wearing his blue bib overalls and asked, "Have you tried the peaches?" and reached down pulled a peach out for all of us. I remember biting into it and the juice running from the corners of my mouth. Most delicious peach ever. Red Haven peach as I recall. Talked with him for awhile asking about all the peaches in the area. As I recall, over a hundred varieties in the area and he had like nine in his orchard, plus apples also.

Getting hungry now.

That is the truth.

My late brother bought a whole box, actually more than that. He borrowed my 20 foot flatbed trailer with side boards and brought it back to Dodge full of Olathe corn and sold it on the street here in Dodge.

Oh, the Palisade peaches.:10sign:

We stopped at Hudson's in Palisade a many years ago. It was self-help honor system. We went in and saw that and paused a moment. About that time Mr. Hudson came in wearing his blue bib overalls and asked, "Have you tried the peaches?" and reached down pulled a peach out for all of us. I remember biting into it and the juice running from the corners of my mouth. Most delicious peach ever. Red Haven peach as I recall. Talked with him for awhile asking about all the peaches in the area. As I recall, over a hundred varieties in the area and he had like nine in his orchard, plus apples also.

Getting hungry now.

Use them in my Dutch Oven for my Peach Cobbler.. Yuuuummmm!!! May have to can some this year. Nothing like sitting in Elk camp eating some Palisade Peaches !!!:cheers:

Well, I have succeeded in highjacking cpiquette's thread.

cpiqette-
Love labs and would love to see a picture of yours.

Everybody should resist those Western CO peaches.
Especially the Red Havens.

Why?? :confused: You ask?
Couse You'll NEVER be OK with the stuff from the grocery, ever again. :eek:

?

Use them in my Dutch Oven for my Peach Cobbler.. Yuuuummmm!!! May have to can some this year. Nothing like sitting in Elk camp eating some Palisade Peaches !!!:cheers:

Chad,
I am going to have to try some of that peach cobbler. That is absolutely my favorite!! I thought I had peaches growing up in Texas until I ate my first palisade and other western sloper varities years ago.

Actually for the 4th I am taking the fam over near Silverton to camp. My mother in law lives in Silverton (owns a shop there) and my other outlaws will be joing us from Montrose and Durango.

Greg

Chad,
I am going to have to try some of that peach cobbler. That is absolutely my favorite!! I thought I had peaches growing up in Texas until I ate my first palisade and other western sloper varities years ago.

Actually for the 4th I am taking the fam over near Silverton to camp. My mother in law lives in Silverton (owns a shop there) and my other outlaws will be joing us from Montrose and Durango.

Greg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back