Wanting new double barrel...Question about quality and prices

Chirocat46

Hello all, I'm looking into getting a new field gun and would like to get a double barrel 16 ga. Been looking for a while and really the only guns easily available to me are the Tristar Hunter (O/U) $550... or CZ Bobwhite ($915). Main question is, would it be worth it to pay the extra and get the Bobwhite? Thanks in advance, Dalton.

I'm a bit interested ina Cz SxS...particularly the Sharptail in 20 gauge...

Any input is appreciated.

J

Jdog I have a CZ Sharptail in 20 gauge and am very happy with it. I have always wanted a sxs but could never find one that fit or that didn’t feel clunky. Handled one at the Cz booth at the Pheasant Fest last year and immediately knew that I had to get one. So far only shot some trap with it but it’s my favorite shotgun. Chirocat I am not familiar with the 16’s you mentioned but as I noted I am happy with my Cz. Good luck, Dave

Last edited:
Jdog I have a CZ Sharptail in 20 gauge and am very happy with it. I have always wanted a sxs but could never find one that fit or that didn’t feel clunky. Handled one at the Cz booth at the Pheasant Fest last year and immediately knew that I had to get one. So far only shot some trap with it but it’s my favorite shotgun. Chirocat I am not familiar with the 16’s you mentioned but as I noted I am happy with my Cz. Good luck, Dave

Good to hear...I’ll pick mine up this week.

It is all dependent of what you are looking for or prefer O/U vs SxS and your budget. Then how does the gun for you. 16ga's are great, don't rule out older guns like if Smith or fox. I have an lc Smith and love it. CZ makes fine guns, I would also look at the sharptail as they have a 16ga, only difference I can see is bob has prince of Wales trip and sharpie doesn't. Not very familiar with tristar.

My wife gave me a CZ 20 ga Sharptail for my birthday last Feb. Beautiful gun - took it out skeet shooting to try it out. Double fired both barrels 6 times during the two rounds of skeet we shot. Sent it back to CZ in Kansas City - they installed a larger sear pin and made a few other adjustments. Took it to SD pheasant hunting this past Nov - worked like a charm. CZ's service reputation is outstanding...one of the reasons I wanted this gun. Also - I'm 6'6" and this 20 ga fit me pretty well with the beavertail fore end - gives the gun a comfortable feel. Does not feel like I'm shooting a toy gun.

My wife gave me a CZ 20 ga Sharptail for my birthday last Feb. Beautiful gun - took it out skeet shooting to try it out. Double fired both barrels 6 times during the two rounds of skeet we shot. Sent it back to CZ in Kansas City - they installed a larger sear pin and made a few other adjustments. Took it to SD pheasant hunting this past Nov - worked like a charm. CZ's service reputation is outstanding...one of the reasons I wanted this gun. Also - I'm 6'6" and this 20 ga fit me pretty well with the beavertail fore end - gives the gun a comfortable feel. Does not feel like I'm shooting a toy gun.

I'm 6'8", some guns feel tiny in my hands/arms as well. I pick up my sharptail tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Picked up a 20 gauge Sharptail today...feels good. Can't wait to put it to use.

NfjWpW9.jpg

7hnfGGC.jpg

7uJhiw3.jpg

4tqYDNw.jpg

It is all dependent of what you are looking for or prefer O/U vs SxS and your budget. Then how does the gun for you. 16ga's are great, don't rule out older guns like if Smith or fox. I have an lc Smith and love it. CZ makes fine guns, I would also look at the sharptail as they have a 16ga, only difference I can see is bob has prince of Wales trip and sharpie doesn't. Not very familiar with tristar.

Amen to the LC Smith or even Fox, if you had to settle. LoL.

With the LC you get a true honest to goodness side lock that is durable and awesome to shoot. You can pay as much as you want for various conditions and grades. A good Field or 00 grade is a great place to start your collection. This one in the picture is my most recent purchase. It is a 12ga 00 grade built April 1905. And yes, those are all original colors. I have a 16ga Field grade as well built in 1944.

View attachment 8020

Gooding Sharpie, jdog. Looking forward to your report on this shotgun.

LC, that is a beauty you have there. My first Elsie is a 16ga field grade, looking to add to the collection.

Jdog- hope your sharpie shoots as good as it looks! LC- Gorgeous gun! Thank you everyone else for inputs, after weighing options and doing some research, I decided to purchase a Browning Citori White Lightning 16 gauge (I know wasn't even in original ballpark price). After reading reviews and looking at other forums thought it would be best to get something made by a brand I know is quality and that I have experience with. Also helps I got a sweet deal on a NIB gun. Supposed to come in for me to pick up today or tomorrow, cant wait!
- Dalton

I have a little Huglu (which is who makes the guns for CZ USA) 20ga with 26 inch tubes I quail hunt with and it's a great little gun! Don't think you can go wrong with the CZ.

Back