vest rubbing on dog creating raw skin

Bob Peters

My pheasant hunting buddy is a field bred golden retriever. She is almost 4 years old and I bought her the Cabela's orange dog vest. It fits her good, the only problem is that near the top of her front arms/chest area it has sometimes rubbed her raw. She has beautiful thick fur, so there are times I don't put the jacket on her and she has been fine. But hunting during other seasons on public land I think it's a must to have the blaze on her, because she's colored up just like a deer. I always steer clear of other hunters, etc. but still like her to have blaze on just in case. Does anyone have a solution to stop the vest from rubbing her skin raw? Last weekend I coated the front of the leg holes with petroleum jelly as a lubricant and it seemed to help.

From what you describe, the vest is too tight around the leg opening...alter the vest by cutting the leg opening back. And make a slice or two back from the opening, to increase the diameter of the opening. Just my take...

From what you describe, the vest is too tight around the leg opening...alter the vest by cutting the leg opening back. And make a slice or two back from the opening, to increase the diameter of the opening. Just my take...

Concur. IMO the best solution is to try a larger vest, the second option is to cut out the leg holes. Neoprene waterfowl vests are often double stitched so as to allow trimming without wrecking them, upland vests not so much. Cutting out the leg holes may or may not ruin your's...

Back