Very Few Pheasants

Hi,

Native Nebraskan here who gets back to the home state to hunt a few times each year. Just returned from a long week-end trip in Furnas County. I have hunted that area many times over the years but this was the first time in 4 years. It was sad to see the pheasants are really far and few between in that area. It looks like a lot of CRP has come out but there is still quite a bit of habitat in that area - the ravines and gullies that can't be farmed. I walked quite a few of these areas (public ground) with two good dogs and we did not see any pheasants!

A couple of farmers I talked to confirmed there are few pheasants left in the area. With so few pheasants I don't think I would have shot any even if I had the opportunity. So I decided to focus on quail and the good news is there seems to be good numbers - bagged a few. I was not able to access private land that I have in the past, and maybe that would have been better for pheasants. But I scouted around quite a bit and just didn't see any - looked like about half the corn is still unharvested maybe it will help when its all out.

I think the pheasant numbers are still really poor in that area, maybe others have had better luck. The heck of it is the NE Game and Parks upland forecast listed Furnas County as one of the top pheasant counties in the southwest - I would have to say beware, that is BS....

Back