Upland report from Chester to Coffee Creek

RedNose

We covered this area with two different groups. Report from both groups was not good. The Chester to Ft. Benton report was dismal at best, the report of the Coffee Creek, Stanford, Denton not being much better. It seems that the birds were devastated by the storm that hit Montana late this spring.

I hope to read more reports soon.
RedNose

Hunted Froid area for opener, not as many birds as last year for sure and still lots of young ones just starting to turn color.Rain opening morning sucked and heat after was hard on dogs but still a good time.

Hunted the Fort Benton area (upstream off the river) and it was tough hunting.

I shot limits both days but boy did I work for them. My hunting partner didn't get any on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Very few birds sighted of either sex. Not looking good, very demoralizing to see.

I should add we hunted from dawn to dusk on Saturday with only a short lunch break and hunted until noon Sunday.

Wish I had a more positive report but I don't and everyone else I talked to did worse than us.

That spring storm you guys had this year really put the dampers to the hatch I am thinking. We were out by Loring-Whitewater area doing some varmint shooting when the strom started rearing it's ugly head.

Oh well there is always another year...I doubt the flocks will be back by next year but if you have good spring for a couple of years the flocks will be back and flying.

Thank you for posting on the same thread. That way we can keep track of the success hunters are having.:cheers:

Back