Turkey Time

It's getting closer to turkey hunting, and i'm wondering if theres any turkey hunters on here. I've done a little turkey hunting, called them in but never shot one:( Would like to try it again if time permits this spring. Got a good spot any little things you guys learned over the years that might help with having a successful hunt.

I hunted them until I got to old. I had trouble getting back up off the ground after sitting for a long while. The one thing that was always my big downfall was don't move. Have your gun high and real close to your shoulder. Yes, just moving your gun is enough to send them running pronto. I would sit with my knees up and my gun resting so I just had to push it back and fire. But at times even that was to much.......Bob

first of all scout the area find where they roost and where they go to feed and then know the land your are hunting on so you know where they are going and how they are getting there. Also get you a good seat or chair that is low to the ground so you can be comfortable and a camo net to put up in front of you so in case you have to move a little it will hide your movement. The biggest thing is patience if they first don't come to you off the roost stay their he'll remember where you are at when he's done with his early morning hens and if he is the mood he'll come back around looking for you.

as for using decoys i've always found it to be a crap shoot. sometimes they help and other they hurt you,and as for calling you cant have too many calls because you never know what might get him fired up and coming you're way. If he's henned up and you now this or you can actually see them with him get aggressive with your calling she's probably going to lead him off anyway if your lucky you'll make her mad and she'll come to you and he will be right behind her headed to you. if calling fails then it's time to ambush them get in between their food source and where they are roosting and no calling wait for them to come by and then say hello to my little friend!!

Sure you ask others for advice but dont ask me. where are those birds at? i plan on hunting them also. what could possibly go wrong hunting with blackcloud:mad:

do any of you guys have a youth turkey season the weekend before the regular sseason opens , we do here in oklahoma i like it you get to take the kids out and get the first crack at the "thunder chicken" and also use it to scout for the next weekend .

Back