Trigger Finger Itchy for Turkey

BritChaser

Turkey season starts April 8. Anyone else getting an itchy trigger finger?

I can hardly wait. I really love all different kinds of bird hunting. I got my biggest tom ever last year in southeast kansas. now its in my basement in a full strut mount.

I can hardly wait. I really love all different kinds of bird hunting. I got my biggest tom ever last year in southeast kansas. now its in my basement in a full strut mount.

Nice!!!!!!! Could you post a photo?

Last edited:
A Very Good Excuse

I suppose that I will get a tag this year. Besides it's a good way to pattern my new SX3.....:D

To pattern your new gun . . . turkey hunting is definitely the answer.

just be very patient in the afternoons. Even when you think you've been in one spot too long. If there are turkeys in the area they will like move into your setup if you're there long enough. they are constantly moving around all day so they're bound to get close to you to hear your calling. I normally sit for 2 to 3 hours in the afternoons calling every 15 min. or so. I found this to be a lot better than runing and guning. I have had the best luck with that.
Another big tip is if you can roost a tom than your chances increase greatly. see where he flew up from and set up as close as you can to that spot. Where a turkey flew up from he is most likely to land in that same spot the next morning.
the late afternoons are hard to call in toms because the last hour of sunlight they are more worried about finding their roost for the night then coming into a decoy spread. So try and roost them and your morning hunt should be a better chance.

Tips for Turkey

Lookin forward for it this will be my first turkey season any tips would great!

I like a mouth call because it leaves your hands free

It's surprising how little "cover" you need for concealment; in a shadow is often enough; being motionless is key

Aim for the neck, easier to hit if the bird is not strutting

Get a turkey choke for a longer shot and tighter pattern

Scout a roost, and then set up before dawn; be prepared to wait for the fly down and the feeding to begin

If a tom is looking at your decoy(s), but not coming in range, call with two or three yelps

If you flush a turkey or see one running from you in the open, you can hunt it down; it will usually be where it disappeared into cover or a depression; drop your decoys and quick march to where the bird disappeared

Last edited:
Back