Training birds

thewardenlaw

Does anyone know of a good place in the front range to get training birds for dogs? I have places I can go train, and all the gear for it, I just don't have a good bird provider. Some of the places like A Plus Game birds are trying to sell chukar for $20/bird, which is just insane to pay that for training birds.

Check Surefire kennels in Nunn, they might sell you some. They’re big in NAVHDA, great folks Jake and Sara. Tell them Jon and Maple sent you their way if it works out!

Dunno the State, but consider using pigeons for some of your training. Around here, farmers would gladly have some of them trapped to reduce the numbers.

They can be a big help.

Best wishes.

I’ll second Kismet.
Pigeons are the way to go! Very hardy, flighty. They won’t disappoint. Game birds are great… wild ones anyway!! Pen raised birds not so much. Don’t always work the way they are supposed to. They are hard to care for too. Pigeons are easy.
I have about 20 homers I keep in an old chicken coop. I put them in several launchers and they fly back to the coop when we are done.

Back