Trainer in Kansas

plumrr

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a GSP trainer in the Kansas City area? My pup is 3 months old and was thinking it would be ready for the trainer in late spring/early summer.

Take the time and do it yourself. Buy a book, buy a video, or search the web for methods. If you do it yourself that bond you'll develop with the dog will pay in the end.
1. If using a training collar, start the conditioning now. Less than an hour and you'll have that learned.
2. Teach Here and Heel in the yard. Whoa can come later and takes a little longer to learn. Control of the dog
3. Preserves are open until March 31st so you can get birds and get the dog on birds and gun condition at the same time. Sometimes running the dog with a veteran dog might help. Use a checkcord and have a buddy do the shooting. The main advantage a trainer has is access to birds.
4. Fetch you should already be doing that and shouldn't have any issues getting a gsp to retrieve. Force fetch training is usually a separate session with a trainer.

I'm in KC, if you need any books, wings, or help hit me up maybe I can help more.

I think I'd rather try this place. First class guy and you're close enough you can go learn/train with him and your dog.

http://perfectionkennel.com/

cr

I think I'd rather try this place. First class guy and you're close enough you can go learn/train with him and your dog.

http://perfectionkennel.com/

cr

If I were in Kansas City, I would completely agree with this and not even consider going anywhere else. Jon is one of the most respected trainers in the country. I also agree with working on it yourself. Just because of your location, you could have the best of both worlds. Get yourself a copy of the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVD's and work the dog as far as you feel comfortable with yourself, then send your dog to Jon, the person who made the DVD's if need be and have him close for help when you get your dog back if you need it.

I bred a litter out of his dog Karl, who is featured in the videos as a pup. Jon was super nice and easy to get in contact with over the phone. He knows dogs, especially GSP's and has the record in field trials, hunt tests and wild bird hunting to prove it. He is a great guy to talk to.

Back