Torn Achilles Tendon

Steve g

Hello Everyone;
Thought I would post this out there to see if there are any others with similar experience. My GSP, Ike, has seemed to be favoring his left back foot on and off since the end of January/beginning of February. Just while at rest - standing around or eating. He would just hold it up but when playing or running (or hunting) he was fine and showed no ill signs. I thought that it was just a sore pad or maybe a pulled muscle and he would get better. Well he hasn't -tried a couple days of Rimydal I had left over from my SD trip last October but wasn't comfortable doing that for any length of time without a vet seeing him. So I had some days off and got him into the vet and they took some Xrays and bewteen my normal vet and the Orthopedic surgeon she referred me to, it has been decided that he has a partially torn Achilles Tendon. Treatment no surgery, but casting for the next 3-5 weeks after a cortisone shot to reduce the inflamation. Here is a pic of him getting along well with the splint we are to use until he can get cast Monday. Any insight and advice and experience with this type of injury would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Just give him time to heal completely.

Back