Toenails

Citori16

My pup tore 2 toenails and had to gave them removed. Anyone have this happen? What is the heal time? Google says 2-3 weeks to regrow
ND trip in two weeks looks to be in jeopardy
Of course he missed the opener in Idaho yesterday

I’m sure I may get some grief for this but…
My shorthair has broken nails off in the past when hunting. I just pull the broken part off and go back to hunting. He has never limped or favored his foot. I do keep an eye on it and keep it clean after the hunt. So I think your hunt in two weeks should go off with out an issue.

Remove broken segment of nail, bandage, change every other day for four days, good to go. Exception is trauma to nail bed, might need sedation to remove broken segment as is very painful. Antibiotic cream, telfa pad and 2" adhesive tape. Tape front to back, left to right, then around the foot. Change wrap a bit longer, every other day. Long nails will break more frequently and easily. Good Luck

Remove broken segment of nail, bandage, change every other day for four days, good to go. Exception is trauma to nail bed, might need sedation to remove broken segment as is very painful. Antibiotic cream, telfa pad and 2" adhesive tape. Tape front to back, left to right, then around the foot. Change wrap a bit longer, every other day. Long nails will break more frequently and easily. Good Luck
The vet removed both nails exposing the quick- probably 1/2 inch. Vet had me remove the bandage after 2nd day to dry out the wound
Seems to be painful as hell for the pup
Have been putting a tefla pad on and covering with a bootie to keep from licking

Back