Tipping

BlaserD

I am heading to South Dakota for the first time and will be using guides with dogs. What is the usual amount you guys/girls tip? I have hunted out west for big game and usually tipped accordingly but Ive never hunted pheasants. I am staying at a lodge but I know guides work for tips usually and want to make sure that I treat them right.
thanks
Dale

I'd say $25 a day for the guide and dogs minimum. Ultimately it might be more if you are staying at a place that includes meals and lodging. You have to set some aside for the cooks and service staff. When we go to a lodge, we usually go $50 a day and the management has a standard breakdown to cover all the various people.

Last edited:
Try to ascertain whether the guide is a stakeholder in the operation. If he is just a hired hand, tip generously as a guy gets a lot of time and money in good dogs and he knows how to get the most out of the property. If the guy owns the place, or his family does, they are already taking a good sum of your hard-earned dough and I would consider handing him a bottle of his favorite beverage, along with your thanks.

Back