Ticks Suck

4shot

I’m not scared of much. Thought Covid was a joke, hardly ever get sick. If there is one thing that scares the crap out of me is Lyme disease and ticks. If one lands on me or attaches I immediately think I’m a goner. Today the dog and I were out, he was running in tall grass I was walking in a mowed section and I look down and see four ticks on my pants. I wasn’t in trees or even grass that was 3 inches tall. Later I was in a field looking for some coveys I’m familiar with, grass was knee high, I bet there was over 20 ticks on my pants. You can bet I have the eewhee jeebezz all night. Every time I feel a tickle I’m running to the bathroom ripping my shirt off doing a tick inspection. Dog has Frontline, do they make that stuff for humans? (JK). Just seems like a lotta ticks, is this common? Is there more of them out this year? Any good tips other than bug spray and not going out? I don’t even wanna think about mushroom hunting. Oh well, just sittin in the garage burning ticks found on the dog. New hobby!!!🤨

Best tip, duct tape thebbottoms of yoir pants around your boots seals them off from getting on your skin or legs, then treat clothingvwith tick spray. Tick on clothing who cares on skin there is potential. Also there tick gaters, much like snow gaters, you can treat them to with spray.

25 years in the field as a forester i tried the gaters and spray and the ticks just crawled passed them. Best solution is check your body, if one is attached circle the area with a pen and watch for symtoms, also keep the attached tick, place in baggie and put in your freezer. If needed then can be evaulated.

On the lake states ticks have been bad the last couple of years. Just be diligent in checking yourself and hunting partner, i dont trust chemicals to ward the bastards off.

I’m not scared of much. Thought Covid was a joke, hardly ever get sick. If there is one thing that scares the crap out of me is Lyme disease and ticks. If one lands on me or attaches I immediately think I’m a goner. Today the dog and I were out, he was running in tall grass I was walking in a mowed section and I look down and see four ticks on my pants. I wasn’t in trees or even grass that was 3 inches tall. Later I was in a field looking for some coveys I’m familiar with, grass was knee high, I bet there was over 20 ticks on my pants. You can bet I have the eewhee jeebezz all night. Every time I feel a tickle I’m running to the bathroom ripping my shirt off doing a tick inspection. Dog has Frontline, do they make that stuff for humans? (JK). Just seems like a lotta ticks, is this common? Is there more of them out this year? Any good tips other than bug spray and not going out? I don’t even wanna think about mushroom hunting. Oh well, just sittin in the garage burning ticks found on the dog. New hobby!!!🤨
Sawyers makes a good spray. Permanon is another. Both are pesticides not repellents. I've never found a repellent to worked. Both active ingredient is permethrin. Thats the same stuff that's in the cow spray that they spray on the big rope type rubs you see in the shade in pastures. You can get it in any farm store. I mix 20 oz water 1 oz of10 % permethrin. I can make a bunch of 20 oz bottle's for the price of one can of sawyers. Stinks until it Drys. Thers also a product called Bronco. Get the one that is SUPPOSEDLY safe for dogs. I haven't used it for years but it used to have the same % of permethrin in it. A buddy and I quit turkey hunting an area of old strip mines because the tics were so bad you could see them on the ground. After spraying down with permanone we watched the tics fall off dead before they reached the knee. We quit hunting that area anyway because the turkeys that we shot would have tics matted underneath the wings! I just couldn't take it anymore!!

Permethrin spray clothes ... I do not see ticks on my sprayed clothing and I turkey hunt in the spring and grouse hunt in the woods. Most sprays seem to last a few weeks or more if not out every day.

I spray the cuffs (shirts and pants) with an extra amount and work it inside the cuffs a few inches.

Dogs: cannot say enough about Nexgard. Used to spray dogs with canine tick and flea spray on grouse hunts, no longer.

Vet I go to says Nexgard is the strongest and kills a biting tick much faster than the other brands which in turn prevents transmission.

Back