Three Different Hatches--at least!

KBell

A big thank you to Birdshooter for sharing how to upload my new camera picks! Well done Sir!:)

Please see my post on "Old School" for the story.

Here is the pic again:

As you can see three different hatches of birds--all this year! Early on right, very late in the middle and middle on the left. Great news for this area! The two from last weekend were middle season hatchlings.

I am focusing this year on how many "old" roosters we harvest as opposed to this year's hatchlings. So far, Sophie and I are 5 of 5 for this year's hatch.:)

Last edited:
My buddy and I shot 8 birds this weekend. 6 were late hatches, like the one on the left side of your picture. 2 had better spur and color development. A couple of big, colorful birds flew up out of gun range. Saw quite a few hens, too. It looks like good numbers for breeding if we have a decent winter and spring.

You don't know how much I hope you are correct Ranger Rick!:)

I continue to hope that we can receive two or three consecutive years of excellent nesting conditions and that our populations rise!:)

Thanks for sharing how your hunt went. It sounds like you had a great day with a friend.

We need the extreme cold to stay away another month for all the late hatches throughout pheasant country.

Agreed!

You are correct Sir!

I thought about this just last week as I harvested some very young birds. They need at least 3 weeks to gain the plumage needed for winter!

Thank you John!

I say it for all of us Iowans! Thank you! We have seen the lowest of the low so to speak. I am not ready to say we are on the uptick yet but a mild winter would go a long way for us. Thank you for the kind thoughts!:)

Ken

Back