Thoughts on newbies looking for info

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrvrman

So I was just curious what some of the "vets" on here think of alot of the newbies that come on here and it shows that they joined like Sept/Oct this year and have like 5 posts and are looking for places to hunt or asking about reports, etc:confused:

I remember someone telling me when I first got on here that you need to give back to the forum and bring something to the table first before anyone tells you about how this area is or how the hunting is here or there.

I have seen alot of newbies posting on the Colorado and Kansas forums.

I know that I will get alot of flack from some of the newbies and that is to be expected. No worries there.....I am a big boy ;)

Greg

Completely agree with what you are saying, and as one of the "newbies" I am sure you are referring to, the only question I may ask is how you propose we "give back" to the community before we can ask from it. Anyone who has been hunting long enough knows well that most to all hunters although usually willing to help will not give out their honey holes because 1) they worked hard to find them (usually) and 2) they would no longer be honey holes. This is understandable. If hunting back in the North East I could be of a lot more help but being new to Colorado, it's kind of tough. If I had information to give back I suppose I wouldn't be asking for it in the first place. With that in mind, that's why I try and go scouting and do research on my own to help and get a good start to where I want to go.

What's wrong with coming on here looking for someone to go scouting with. There are already too few hunters these days, and being on the younger end of the spectrum like me it's all the more difficult. I have no problem with what you are saying, and tend to agree, but to reiterate what I said, what do you propose newbies give back before we are allowed to ask.

I am a part of other hunting forums and have participated on them for many years, and have always found help and tried to give it when possible, but it's more of a general forum for bird hunting and not geared towards guides or region specific sub-forums. Even if there were ways that I could give back with out having region specific knowledge, in all honesty it's not the most active forum ever. With only a handful of posts if that on the Colorado forum daily, I believe it would take more then just this hunting season in order to get to a level that would probably satisfy your giving back first requirement. Also, it's really great to find a place that looks to help its members when needed because it promotes a sense of community and helps to bring people back to the boards and keep contributing.

Anyways, thanks for for your input on the situation I respect what you are saying.

(No flak intended, merely another perspective combined with some queries.)

Cheers

Probably am not in the vet cat. here but, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with that.

More than a few would ask where/how many/how and so forth and never to be heard form again.

An example of giving back is sharing a story or two of how you did striking out on your own. Offering something like some hand tied flies, your experience with dogs, a store you know that has shells or good service. Tell folks what you do for living. Let folks get to know you, come to one of the meet and greets or a tag along out to a skeet range. The internet is hardly a place to understand who a person really is. If you are remotely descent and honest folks will help you out with hunting; I'm hardly either myself. I was a newbie not that long ago ( still ain't a vet either) and got the welcome mat laid out by a few members and have made some fast friends.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

No offense here retrvrman but if people dont come in and start asking questions and make contacts how will the forum ever grow? I know some questions may seem trivial but to the author they may not be and having someone take the time to show some interest builds a sense of belonging in that person. I do agree that the questions folks ask sometimes should be a little more specific and with the amount of lifelong(vet) knowledge on here the responses should be a little more forthcoming also. Not taking a shot across the bow just an observation. In essence ask a specific question get a specific answer,right up to giving away your honeyhole spot for example. I know I came in(over a year ago) and asked for suggestions more so than advice on a few things and have made some great contacts with a few folks on here. I thank you all for that and hope I have made some positive contributions to you as well as the other viewers. With all that being said I dont even pheasant hunt but the broad range of topics and the folks that took the time to help me keeps me logging in. Its obvious that alot of folks know each other and call one another by first name on here and thats what we all should eventually strive for. Thats growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back