Thinking.

bobeyerite

I have an interesting 2 part question for all dog owners. Do you believe your dog can 1 think/ I mean plot scheme and things of that nature? 2 Do they dream in their sleep, can you see and hear them dreaming? I'll post my answers to these questions later. I want free answers. I don't want to be guilty of setting a tone.

Yes and Yes! I know my dogs dreams because they move and bark in their sleep sometimes. You can tell something is going on in their head. Happens when they are real tired. I also think they get ideas to try and lead us to what they want. My dogs will bark in the other room then when I get up to go see what is going on they will have a ball or something for me to throw. They know if they bring it to me on the couch I won't throw it. They are smart, smart, smart! Brittany's ~~MATT

Yes and yes! My dogs dream like crazy after a long day of hunting. I can hear them yipping and see their legs twitch. Sometimes I think the young dog must be chasing one of those rabbits I always call him off of:rolleyes: About the plotting and scheming thing....I can't seem to keep my 2yo Griffon in his pen without multiple wires wrapped around the latch. He notices immediately if you don't get the latch wired. For awhile, he would just hit the latch (before I was even out of sight) and run a couple of circles in the yard, then surrender himself back to the pen. Now, he just waits until we're inside, then he lets himself out. Once he figured out it doesn't ake long for us to notice he's delinquent during the daylight hours, he's decided to wait until night time to let himself out. He's found that he gets a lot more time out for each offense if he waits till we're sleeping. Besides, the neighbors aren't awake to harrass him about chasing their cats or steeling portions of deer carcuses. The neighbor is a taxidermist so there are always treasures for Duke in his trash cans!

Last edited:
Absolutely Yes to both. I think you can tell when they are haveing bad or good dreams. Plotting is a definate, even with disciplne. I have seen many times when a dog will wait to see you go around the corner out of site and then do what you don't want them too. Opening patio doors, dog food containers what ever. Then the stuff in the field like what you described earlier. They can do all kinds of plotting and sceeming:).

Those are good. Let me tell what Tony and Val did here one day. Val is my son's Brittany and she is a sister to Tony. They both came from the same litter. Len brings Val over from time to time, so she and Tony can play in my fenced back yard and Kennel. They were both relaxing in the house, I gave them both a Raw Hide Chew. The ones that look like a cigar, long, round and brownish. Tony being the pig that he is ate, his in about 20 minutes. Val still had a good half of hers left. Tony watched her chew for a while. Then went to the picture window looked around and barked. Val came running over to see what Tony was barking at. Tony let her get to the window and he be lined it over and took her raw hide chew off the floor. I took it away from him and give it back to Val. A few minutes later, Tony goes the the window again and looks around for a bit then barks again. Val comes running over to see what is going on. Tony be lines for the chew again. Only this time he cannot find it. Val turns her head with a smile on her face. She has the chew tucked into the side of her mouth like a trucker with a cigar half in and half out. We now call those chews "A Cigar".

Last edited:
Man that is priceless!!! mine will do something similar by distracting the other one then stealing their spot on the pillow or a toy they want like you explain!! Crazy Azz Dogs!!!! I love em!!!

Yes and yes.

Funny how they manipulate each other and us as well. That "bark to make 'em come running" routine must be universal because my dogs pull it on each other all the time in order to get whatever the other's got.

We also don't leave food on the coffee table when we leave the room.

Some dogs are definitely smarter than others though. I've had smart ones and not-so-bright ones. A smart dog will really test your patience sometimes...

I have an interesting 2 part question for all dog owners. Do you believe your dog can 1 think/ I mean plot scheme and things of that nature? 2 Do they dream in their sleep, can you see and hear them dreaming? I'll post my answers to these questions later. I want free answers. I don't want to be guilty of setting a tone.

Bob, absolutely yes on both counts. Let me ask you a question... Do you think it's difficult for a dog to adjust to a new home or do you think they're happy and content as long as they're in their master's home, wherever it may be?

I think they are happy and content where ever their Master is. I think it is difficult for them to adjust to a new master/home. They have to be very young. I would say less than 2 years to adjust. They have to come from a home where they were not happy to adjust quickly when older than that. I hope that answers your question.

Funny story about Tony, Last night he went to bed. He always goes to bed at 9:00. I mean 9 he will tell you it time too. Any way I was reading heis kennek Cage was right in in line with lamp I was rwading by. He has pillows in his bed for comfort He took one of them and put it up over the door of the cage to cut out the light. My wife noticed it and said. "I think you are bothering Tony."---Bob

Bob, absolutely yes on both counts. Let me ask you a question... Do you think it's difficult for a dog to adjust to a new home or do you think they're happy and content as long as they're in their master's home, wherever it may be?

I would say that it depends (in addition to the age of the dog) on a few other factors:
1. The breed. Some breeds seem more flexible than others to new masters. I've adopted three labs in my life and had good luck with those. I adopted a setter (Irish) when I was a teenager and the poor dog was never the same.
2. The type of relationship with the master. It seems that some pet dogs from big families (of people) are pretty flexible, but dogs from small households and hunting dogs (I'm biased here of course) seem to form a closer bond with their master that is harder to break.
3. I wonder also about how much the dog has been exposed to variety matters. We have kennelled our dog at least once a year and/or left her with friends when travelling. By contrast, one of her sisters has one owner who works at home and so has never been alone. We had her overnight last year and she wouldn't eat (unHEARD of for a lab - this dog in particular!).

-Croc

Both my dogs dream. The terrior more than the lab. He is always making some kind of noise and almost barking when he's dreaming. Not as noticable when Ruby dreams.

As for schemes, Ruby seems to always come up with a way for me to notice the tennis ball. She'll throw it in front of the shovel, rake or broom. She'll let it roll down the driveway out into the street and then look at me with, "I know I'm not allowed in the street so you better go get it!"

Back