The ugly numbers associated with AB711

The link below goes to a report from Southwick Associates, which is the top survey organization in the industry. The subject is AB711 (the ban on using lead ammunition for hunting). The projected effects are hideous.

The price of hunting ammunition isn't much of a factor for me since I fire so few rounds at game here in California during an average season, but it's easy to see how the impact would be dramatic for people in other circumstances.

Read it and weep:

http://nssf.org/share/PDF/CA-Alternative-Ammo-Impacts_9-15-2014.pdf

The group who paid for the survey certainly has a vested interest in having the situation remain the same. I seem to recall the same sort of "sky is falling" predictions for the transition to steel for waterfowl hunting that didn't materialize. There will be people who will say that they will quit hunting if the price of ammo goes up just to skew the poll results and yet guys are willing to pay over two dollars a shell for waterfowl rounds so I don't think that's true...of shotgun ammo anyway.
All that being said I don't see an easy solution to the rim fire ammo issue. Small shot size shells for small upland bird hunting can be an issue too but you can buy #4 steel now which should work for such things.
Demand exceeding capacity seems to be what every manufacturer dreams about instead of counting sheep so the survey should be good news for them. Personally, I think it will be disruptive for awhile due mainly to resistance to change issues but DP, like you, I shoot very few rounds in a year so it won't affect me at all...I think.
The only real issue I'll have is getting rid of the lifetime supply of lead shells and shot for reloading I have. I guess I can make jig heads out of it until they're banned too. Lead being banned in the outdoors is coming so like the warden told Luke, we have to get our minds right.

Back