The great debate raw food or home made diet for hunting dogs vs commercial dog food pros and cons?

Leftyhunter

How many of the members here feed their hunting dogs DIY diets vs commercial dog food?
I know this subject is a whole lot like a theological or political debate with partisans on each side. What are the actual experiences of our members?
I know Purenia 32/20 has its fans and one member said the Diamond brand was very similar for a substantial savings.
Raw food advocates say that a raw food diet pays for itself in terms of significantly less Vet bills plus longevity of useful life for their dogs.
I don't have any experience in this matter to debate it either pro or con but would like to know what experiences members here have in terms of cost vs performance?
Thanks,
Leftyhunter

I feed my dogs commercial dry dog food but I do make my own food topper. I cook it and blend it in a blender until it has a canned food consistency. I freeze it in 2 and 4 cup containers and I make about 5 quarts for under $25. I use it like canned dog food. Relative to RAW, I would never try it. I'm too lazy to deal with uncooked meats at home on a daily basis let alone traveling and living out of a motel. I don't see the benefit and I haven't found any research that would make me reconsider feeding RAW over commercial dry dog food.

I feed my dogs commercial dry dog food but I do make my own food topper. I cook it and blend it in a blender until it has a canned food consistency. I freeze it in 2 and 4 cup containers and I make about 5 quarts for under $25. I use it like canned dog food. Relative to RAW, I would never try it. I'm too lazy to deal with uncooked meats at home on a daily basis let alone traveling and living out of a motel. I don't see the benefit and I haven't found any research that would make me reconsider feeding RAW over commercial dry dog food.
Do you avoid brands that have any particular ingredients such has corn or soy?
Leftyhunter

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8174467/
It would be very difficult to conduct a true double blind study of which is better between a raw food diet vs commercial dog food. All dogs would have to be divided into equal size groups of the same breed and age, receive the same care such has grooming, checking the ears , dental care and the only difference is the diet. All raw fed dogs in a group would have to gave the same raw food diet vs all dogs in the commercial dog group eat the same brand of dog food. Definitely an expensive endeavor.
Leftyhunter

Do you avoid brands that have any particular ingredients such has corn or soy?
Leftyhunter
No. I am fine feeding dog food with corn/soy in their food. I've also fed food without it. I tend to stick with well known and easily found brands of food. Pro Plan, Nutrisource, etc., Their food has been tested ad nauseam and they seem to know what there doing. Pro Plan has corn. Nutrisource Performance doesn't. Both are good IMO.

Back