The $500 bottle of Tylenol

CloseRange

File this one in the cabinet drawer marked "Things Hunters Don't Know If They Haven't Owned A Bird Dog In Nearly 30 Years".

For the last two or three months I've been letting my year-old Griffon pup ride up in the front seat of my pickup. Previously she rode inside a kennel cage in my truck's Astro shell, where she was perfectly happy. But when she finally reached the point where I could trust her not to pee when excited, up front she went.

She's been well behaved riding up front, never lunges across my lap or otherwise interferes with my driving. In fact, most of her time is spent curled up asleep. It's cool having her up front; she likes it when I roll down the window partway so she can stick her head out and sniff the air. It makes for a nice down-home feeling as we roll down the county roads going nowhere in particular.

For the last 20-some years I've done a lot of long distance canoe trips, so occasionally I get a bit of muscle soreness in my back, arms or shoulders. No big deal, and to ward off the aches if and when they come I've kept a small bottle of Tylenol handy in my truck. My truck's manual shift console has a nifty molded place that holds the Tylenol bottle, and it just sits there ready if I need any. Occasionally I'll look inside to see how many pills are left, add more if it's about out. But in the last couple years I haven't gone paddling much, so it became one of those deals where, yes, I knew the bottle was there but, no, I never paid attention to it.

Couple of weeks ago I was in a truck stop eating breakfast. Left my pooch in the cab where she'd keep warm. It was a bitter cold, windy day. I came back out, opened the door and found she'd pulled that pill bottle out of the little molded recess then chewed the bottle to pieces. Fragments of Tylenol pills were scattered on my driver's seat and on the floorboard. No way of knowing how many pills had been inside the bottle, or if she'd ingested any of the stuff. Might have just chewed it and spit it out. And even if I had known these things, I still wouldn't have realized the danger. Really, I'm not sure if Tylenol was even on the shelves 30 years ago (because 30 years ago I would never have needed it).

About an hour later my dog vomited on the floorboard. This happened shortly after, and for the first time ever, I spoiled her by feeding her a couple of cheeseburgers at a Micky D's. I put the two together and figured, well, okay, either she hates cheeseburgers or she wolfed them down too fast and now her stomach is upset. No big deal.

But just minutes later I let her out of the truck for an exercise run, and we were walking along and I noticed her movement had become sluggish. Totally unlike her. She suddenly became wobbly on her feet, almost fell down, then she vomited again, violently. Finally the lights came on in my head: it had to be the Tylenol. She must have eaten some and that's what's making her sick. Luckily we were in range of a cell phone tower; I called the vet and before I could even finish with the details the woman said, "Get her in here RIGHT NOW!"

The next two days were for me a miserable fog of terror and remorse, knowing I'd done something ignorant that could kill or permanently disable my dog that I love so much. But I was lucky and she was luckier; the vet and his assistants immediately went to work on her with various drugs, IVs and substances that absorb stomach contents and counteract the effects of Tylenol -- a medicine which I learned, almost too late, is a lethal toxin when ingested by dogs. The stuff attacks their liver.

So I've still got my dog. Her latest blood test came out perfect and she's Warp Drive certified, fit for the field.

But this was a very, very scary deal and I just wanted to warn any readers out there who might be new to owning a dog, that you should please inspect the environments where you kennel, house and transport your dog. Look them over thoroughly for Tylenol, Advil or such pain-reliever drugs and if you find a container, no matter how small and innocent-looking remove it to a safer spot someplace where your dog can't get hold of it.

Glad you dog is Ok. That could have been bad. Good advice though. Gotta "baby proof" if they are up front with you.

My lab rides up front with me all the time. I "think" everything is put away but normally when I'm not in the truck she jumps over to the drivers seat and watches for me the whole time I am out of the truck. Doesn't pay much attention to anything but where I am at.

Several years ago my dog ate some rat poison, noticed it with in a half hour she got into it. called vet and was told to pour peroxide down her to make her throw it up. Works very very quickly, just a little trick to remember if our dogs eat something they shouldn't.

Several years ago my dog ate some rat poison, noticed it with in a half hour she got into it. called vet and was told to pour peroxide down her to make her throw it up. Works very very quickly, just a little trick to remember if our dogs eat something they shouldn't.

Ditto, as a precaution, (hindsight is 20/20 as you know) should have went to a local drug store (or the truck stop) and bought a bottle of peroxide and poured some down the dogs throat. Within 10 mins or less they'd be puking and likely ridding themselves of what they ingested. May have saved the vet bill. Had to do it to my youngest setter last year. Cant remember what she got into but did it as a precaution. Think I found a chewed up pill bottle or something.

Thank you for the advice, mapdog and KsHusker. I do need to put together a canine first aid kit, that's for sure. Regarding peroxide, I assume you mean to use it straight, right from the bottle, no diluting before pouring it down the dog's throat.

I almost could have used that same treatment last week when I was in Lyon County, not bird hunting but house hunting. On a 10-acre parcel with house, the owner, myself and my dog were doing a foot tour of the property that stretches behind his house. He'd recently installed a sewage lagoon but had not quite finished enclosing it with a fence.

Three guesses where my dog went, and the first two don't count....

Before I could stop her, she ra ceddown the embankment and jumped into the sewage lagoon and began swimming around with the brown trout and white mice. I yelled at her to COME! -- just to get her out of the damn lagoon -- which she happily did, running straight to me then turned sideways and shook off her coat all over my clothes.

By miracle of coincidence, before leaving on this house-hunting trip I'd put her folding kennel cage inside my Astro shell. And that's where she rode on the drive home. We stopped at an old CCC/WPA lake and I threw a stick in the water over and over for her to fetch it. Which she did, and those swims rinsed off her coat clean enough that she sleep in bed with me the same night. (It's only fair: some nights in bed I get to smelling worse than she did, if you know what I mean.)

There's sure a lot about bird dogs that breeders don't tell you about when you bend down and pick up one of those adorable 7 week-old puppies.

Peroxide is a life saver. Our dog has swallowed articles of clothing in the past. It's either peroxide, hope that it will pass, pay for a $5,000 surgery, or put the dog down... we choose peroxide. I know its not the best thing for our dog, but it has to beat all three other options.

Thank you for the advice, mapdog and KsHusker. I do need to put together a canine first aid kit, that's for sure. Regarding peroxide, I assume you mean to use it straight, right from the bottle, no diluting before pouring it down the dog's throat.

Yes dump it straight. (Provided its the diluted kind sold in drug stores/grocers etc for human use) Im thinking most stuff for human use is around 3% concentrate. This is the type you'd find in Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, Kroger etc.

The higher concentrates may cause a chemical burn and that wouldnt be good. If theres a vet on the board he/she could probably fact check me. But the low concentration stuff should be perfectly fine for ingestion in small doses. The chemical formula is H2O2 - the by-product is typically water. When it foams its letting off the extra Oxygen molecule. The foaming action is what causes the dog to puke. The same would result in humans, so if your wife/gf tries to poison you and you caught her.... Drink some Peroxide...ha

Back