Tell Us Your Hunting Stories!

BritChaser

The pheasant season has opened in several parts of North America. Let's hear some stories about opening weekends from the Canadians, Michiganers, Dakotans, New Yorkers, Jersey people, Pennsylvanians, and Minnesotans. Did I leave anybody out? Oh yeah, the Montanans. Come on, don't be shy, tell your tales of pheasant tails. We "lower" state dwellers -- Kansas here -- are so jealous of all of you who are already shooting at this year's roosters.

Last edited:
Massachusetts pheasant season (I'll wait for you to stop laughing) opened last Saturday (the 18th) and I went to some corn fields with 3 friends. We tromped around for a few hours (none of us has a dog), and I spotted one in the rows - I tried to chase it myself, but couldn't get near enough to make it fly, and I'm not a fan of shooting on the ground, especially on opening day.

We gave up at that spot and I hit another spot on the way home. I flushed one as I was entering the field, but it was in the safety zone so no shot. As I was heading toward a brook, I saw a biggish bird flying right at me, and couldn't tell it was a pheasant until it was right over my head and by that time there was no shot. It seems someone whose dog got too far away flushed the bird right to me, but I honestly couldn't tell if it was a pheasant or a duck until the very last second.
Hopefully I'll have some shooting next Saturday. But the opener was successful for me - I saw three, and talked to two young kids who each got a bird - so it was a good day in the fields.

72 virgins

Massachusetts pheasant season (I'll wait for you to stop laughing) opened last Saturday (the 18th) and I went to some corn fields with 3 friends. We tromped around for a few hours (none of us has a dog), and I spotted one in the rows - I tried to chase it myself, but couldn't get near enough to make it fly, and I'm not a fan of shooting on the ground, especially on opening day.

We gave up at that spot and I hit another spot on the way home. I flushed one as I was entering the field, but it was in the safety zone so no shot. As I was heading toward a brook, I saw a biggish bird flying right at me, and couldn't tell it was a pheasant until it was right over my head and by that time there was no shot. It seems someone whose dog got too far away flushed the bird right to me, but I honestly couldn't tell if it was a pheasant or a duck until the very last second.
Hopefully I'll have some shooting next Saturday. But the opener was successful for me - I saw three, and talked to two young kids who each got a bird - so it was a good day in the fields.

That "72 Virgins" logo on your messages? Tell me more. lol.

sage and i walk a waterway next to a corn field (standing corn) and sage got one up i shot it sage didnt see it drop so i went in the corn field to help her find it we looked for awhile but nothing then i told sage lets go then sage walk next 5 ft from me then she found it man im blind.. then we walk alittle farther i could not see sage then a rooster flew up i shot it then i thought to myself weres the dog lol... i yelled for 3 to 4 mins nothing i was ready to go looking for her then her she comes with the rooster in mouth i was like wow what a great dog... shes not even 3 yrs yet.. then we were going back to the truck and there was a little patch of grass and sage wanted to go in it but told her no then we dot about 30 yards from it then 4 rooster flew out of it.. man i was mad ... i guess i learned my leason LISTEN TO THE DOG LOL...

Dog Truth

Dogs can be mistaken, but rarely are, and they never lie. In other words, they are completely different from humans. Consequently, we humans, inferior beings, fail to heed our dogs from time to time and pay the price.

Brit - the avatar is kind of small, but the image is of the "72 Virgin's Dating Service - We'll Hook You Up - Express Delivery Available" - I just find it very very funny. I'm US Military (Full time Air National Guard) and served during the first part of the war in 2003.

Kansas - the birds were released by the state. The state has a "Put and take" mentality on pheasant stocking, in the belief that it is too cold here in Massachusetts to support a wild population, their words, not mine.

72 Virgins Via War Plane Express Delivery

I figured it was something like that. Too funny.

Saturday opener in Nova Scotia - busy fields and skittish birds!

Well, it was a big day on Saturday. I had two (dogless) buddies with me and Ruby. Opening day fell on a Saturday for us (and for many of you I'm guessing) for the first time since I started pheasant hunting. We got out "our" fields, which border a narrow river (a spot where I, and others, have permission to hunt). It was an hour before first legal shooting light and there were two trucks there already. A bit disappointed, but we shrugged it off and drove around to hunt the opposite side of the river, where there is a small patch of public uncultivated land (where most of the birds that are flushed from the farm fields on the other side will go to escape! :thumbsup: ).
We started down into the field and put up a hen 5 yards from the car - good start. We worked our way down along a patch of thick alders, sending the dog in on 'loops' while we worked the edge and waited for a rooster to pop out the top. The sun was just starting to glow to the east and we saw 7 deer bounding the top of the ridge against the orange sky - like a postcard! I spotted a small patch of beautiful soft grass and thought that "If I were a pheasant on this cold morning..." Called the dog over and sent her in - a big rooster exploded out and I had to wait a heartbeat or two before taking the shot to avoid making mincemeat of him. As soon as I shot 3 sets of 3 shots echoed from very close, startling the heck out of me. There were no other trucks on that field so I could not figure who was shooting, especially so close. We quartered out away a from the shots to give the guys some space and soon put up another 5 pheasants - 3 of them roosters, along the edge of a pond. My buddy was hanging onto the alders to avoid falling in, so he had no shot, and I had no safe shot over him so we let them go. All of a sudden another 6 shots rang out. We figure we're pushing a bunch of birds to someone, but that's the way it goes. We keep on, still moving away from them. We keep working, a few more hens later Ruby gets birdy and I gesture to my buddy to circle around a thick patch of rose and other rough cover. Up comes a rooster and he drops it - his first over a dog. We keep working and Ruby is still pretty hot. We move forward more and more, coming to the edge of a big pond near where we started. I know we're pushing at least one so I step it up to be near the edge when the bust. Up goes a rooster and I hit him with my second barrel. Into the pond he goes, jumps up and hits the other shore running - takes off into the thick alders. I send Ruby across. She pauses in the water at the feathers from the shot, looking for the bird. I cast her "back" onto the far shore and she gets on his scent, takes off into the alders up the hill. When her bell starts to get faint I worry because of the other hunters, and whislte her in. I leave my buddies to mark the spot and cross the pond to help Ruby with the bird. Ripping my face and eyes to tatters in the alders we search and search. Ruby puts up two more hens and a big rooster in the process, and then gets so turned around on all the scent that I lose hope of finding the cripple. We try for another while but no luck. Dissapointed I head out to tell the boys that I lost the bird. As I get back down to the pond I see two guys leaving in camo wiht a decoy bag - the shooters that morning had been duck hunters and I must have shot that last rooster right over their heads! Feeling a bit bad about that I wonder why they didn't speak up and where the hell they were parked!!! We head back to the car and I put away my gun for the day to concentrate on handling Ruby for the other two hunters, one of whom doesn't have a bird yet. We cross back over to the far side to see if the boys have finsihed over there yet. What do we see but the duck hunters wading back across the river to their trucks. They put on blaze over camo and start hunting pheasants! I must admit that I was a bit confused (and perhaps a bit annoyed) that they had parked on the field to "stake their claim" then waded across to duck hunt. Not only did this seem a little unfair but also a bit dangerous because we had no idea that they were in there. Whether or not they shot any of the roosters that we put up near the pond from the duck blind I will not speculate about... Anyhow, we did our best to work around them and pushed each other some birds throughout those fields, getting my second buddy a rooster in the process and putting up another bunch of birds. Two more parties hunted the far side (where we had just been) while we were at it, and we pushed them some birds. They didn't have dogs and I never heard and shooting, so at the end of the day we finished by going BACK over to where we started for a try, where we put up some more hens. We also found a deer stand in there that had been used that morning, which made me even MORE nervous because we had been in there with the dog. In this province, dogs and deer hunters don't mix very well, especially on teh second day of deer season, so Ruby always has a vest and a bell on and I keep her close. As we left another guy was coming in to go duck hunting! MAN - our little "secret honeyhole" is not much of a secret anymore I guess...
I was very pleased withi Ruby's work for the most part. In particular she never once chased a flushed pheasant after the whistle, which was a serious problem last year which we worked on a lot in the off-season. The only thing that she did that concerned me is when she stumbled on a runner who was either crippled of VERY smart because he REFUSED to fly. He was dashing back and forth in the cover while she want BALLISTIC trying to get him - deaf to the whislte when he made a break for the alders and she chased him out of range. In the end we all went home with a bird after a long, sunny day afield. My buddies were thrilled, so that was good. I was perfectly happy with the harvest (we don't have crazy numbers of birds here in Nova Scotia, compared to some spots where you fellas hunt), but a bit dissapointed about losing the wounded bird and at finishing an otherwise very good "dog-day" with Ruby disobeying me on the running bird. I suppose that I was a bit frustrated also about some of the jostling and waltzing around with other hunters, but that's the name of the game when hunting public land I suppose... I don't know if it was all the hunters around the area, but after the first 5 minutes the birds were VERY skittish - behaving more like wily late-season gun/dog/whislte-shy birds than naive opening-day chickens! In particular, they seem to have figured out the "you fly you die" rule pretty quick, and were doing their best to run out of range before flushing!
When I got home I immediately checked the '09 calendar - Nov. 1 is a Sunday, so pheasant opener is a Monday next year - yay! I'll also have to spend some time scouting and knocking on doors to find a new honeyhole! I didn't have my camera with me, but my buddy took a few snaps.
IMG_0481takeemcrocandruby.jpg

IMG_0482rubylastbird.jpg

-Croc

crockett = windbag

LOL - just noticed my own post - what a windbag!!!!! Sorry fellas, I'll try to condense my future updates! :rolleyes:
-Croc

LOL - just noticed my own post - what a windbag!!!!! Sorry fellas, I'll try to condense my future updates! :rolleyes:
-Croc

No need to condense Crockett. Great story! I've had similar situations.
Thanks

Nice Hunt

I enjoyed reading the details. Sounds like you had a nice hunt considering the competition.

Three of us headed to the White Lake area today. The 18 degree temp actually felt very comfortable considering the subzero crap we've had lately. It was a little breezy, but not too bad.

First, it really sucks not having my dog Ruby along. It really makes for a whole different hunting experience being the wing man on somebody else's dog. I got some shooting in, but it's definitely more fun working with your own dog.

The birds were bunched up and really wild to start. Once we got the birds busted up, they started sitting tighter. The three of us bagged our limit in a couple of hours time.

The highlight of the day was one of the birds that I FINALLY bagged. This rooster got up behind me. I spun around and fired the first shot without getting a good stance. Should of been an easy shot, but I missed. The second shot was not a clean shot either, but I did send a pellet or two into the lungs of the bird. It started doing the death climb so I pulled my gun back down. Instead of coming straight down, the bird managed to keep the wings going for a short while, first flying away, circled and started heading back. It crashed down about 60 yard out. Two of us marked the spot and went over to look for it. Neither one of us or the dog could find the bird at first. After while, my friend and his dog gave up.

I made one my pass and finally spotted it. Picked it up and yelled at my friend. He looked back so I held up the bird to show him I found it. When I did the bird took flight again. :eek: I watched expecting it to crash again, but it kept getting further out. Maybe, I should shoot again :confused: My friends standing there in disbelief wondering if I was using the catch and release program. Well in my hurry, I missed the bird.

The bird came crashing down again just pass gun range. Neither one of us could hardly make it over to the spot because we were laughing so hard. Fortunately, the dog seen the bird go down this time and got the bird for me. We were still laughing when we finally notice the third guy on the hill. He too saw all this and was just shaking his head.

Back