Sure is quite out there

retrvrman

I haven't seen many new threads or posts. I guess everyone is out big game hunting or getting ready for pheasant season.

How much snow did y'all get Thursday night/Friday morning?

I live on north end of Colorado Springs and I had about an inch.:thumbsup:

Greg

Greg,
It has been kind of quiet.

We've been busy. Not much bird wise though. The snow is keeping us out of the high country so grouse season has come to a close.
Did a couple deer scouting trips (while walking the shotguns and the dog of course). Managed to kill a grouse, saw some nice bucks, and Ty flushed a flock of turkeys.
Antelope occupied a few days and provided a nice eater buck to the freezer.

I worked on the custom rifle project I really need to finish but haven't finished of course.

Skipping elk this year. Got sick earlier this week so want to give my body sometime to recover and the antibiotics to work.

Been toying with the idea of going to Nebraska for the opener but haven't made the final decision.

So ya it has been kind of quiet.....

Matt

Oh about an inch of snow. It is all gone except for the deep shadows.

Antici ...pation. :cheers:

I have been living vicariously through our dog Blitz. :laugh:

He managed to get in another pheasant hunt on his way home from Montana.

10353521073_0d3db2425e_z.jpg

Lucky dog that he has gotten in a few pheasant hunts. Nice photos..:thumbsup:

Been getting ready....

Truck is packed, guns are leaning against the door going to the garage, my office smells like Hoppes #9 and sno-seal. My GF is upstairs, I can smell the sticky buns baking. I'll be leaving at oh-dark thirty in the morning for MT and ND, sipping hot coffee and munching on homemade rolls.

I'm bringing the seasoned pro, and the 1 year old idiot. His first time on wild birds. We'll see if the breeding and training paid off. I hope I get to see that moment when the switch is flipped as a wild rooster blasts out from under his nose and he puts it all together.

I'm bringing my go-pro (thanks for the tips!) and my point and shoot so if I see any birds I'll bring back pictures. Wish me luck, sounds like it's going to be a lean season, but this is like the night before leaving for Disneyland for this guy. Time to go dream pheasant dreams...

heading for SD

Leaving tomorrow for a few days pheasant hunting in South Dakota, back on Friday. Looking forward to finding out if the poor reports are true and/or late hatches.
Just got back from Vegas and missed the snow, only a few patches in the shade, maybe an inch.:cheers:

Too busy with Fall chores & salmon fishing. The season opens here tomorrow, but I'll likely fish the last few days of the salmon season instead. The 60's seem too warm to hunt pheasants anyway.

Last edited:
Had three inches of snow here in Dodge. You need me to bring you some on my way to elk camp?

Nice!!:D The mountains got some more snow yesterday (Sunday). Temps this morning in Colorado Springs was 23deg:thumbsup:

I am heading out the first weekend of November for 3rd rifle elk (bull tag), taking my son on his first overnight, in the tent, cot and sleeping bag wake up in the morning to cold, frosty morning.

Then the next weekend is opening weekend for roosters in Colorado. Heading to Burlingston for the round-up. Then a weekend off and then heading to Kansas to chase some roosters there.

November will be a full month....

Good luck and be safe on your way out to elk camp Byrd.

Good luck to everyone else and be safe....

God bless,

Greg

Just back from the Wind Rivers in WY. Buddies dad got a nice buck and one of the other guys a nice Antelope. I shot a pile of ruffed grouse when we were cruising around the forest between looking for cow elk for the guys that had those tags (we didn't fill any cow tags. Saw several nice bulls on the NF ground and craploads in 1 herd on a landlocked piece of BLM, but no susies in the legal areas).

Grouse season here in CO, as noted, is effectively over. We had a decent year, but I did shoot more Ruffs in WY (7) in 2.5 days than I did blues in CO (6) over 9-10 days hunting here. I guess everything is better as you go North :)

Looking anxiously forward to late November. This is probably my older Brittany's last hunting year before he takes up retirement, so hoping to get him out a few times.

Just got back from South Dakota and the report is the birds are down some near Miller but probably not as bad as the 67% reported. Has a lot of young birds flush that hadn't turned color yet, some barely starting to get the ringneck. Hardly any corn harvested and some beans left in the fields so too much cover, birds stayed in the corn till dusk. We did OK and the 2 young dogs got a lot of practice pointing the high number of hens.
Talked to hunters near Pierre and Presho, birds down even more with WIA sections that once were CRP were now corn fields not harvested! Not good!

Last edited:
Back