Still trying to save idnr

1pheas4

Illinois residents; If you get a chance please read the following in regards to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and contact your representatives.

Thank you for your help!;)

Issue is discussed under "ACTION ALERT: Support IDNR Sustainability
Urge Your Legislator to Support HB4193
" at

http://www.ihuntil.com/ (IL. PF website)

I sent off a couple of letters. You know where I am - can you provide a list of folks that should get this? Looks like Pam Althoff doesn't like publishing her email address. http://www.ilga.gov/senate/Senator.asp?GA=97&MemberID=1695

Thanks for posting this and keeping us up to date.

That's a good question. I recently sent off an email to Pam that went through. Of course I just gutted my email so I can't retrieve it. lol

I'll get it from someone and post it here as soon as I get it.

Thanks for letting me know:)

Nick

Here you go http://www.senatoralthoff.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=3

I think Pam and Jack Franks will be in on this bill. I know Franks is a sportsmen so he should be in.

Last edited:
Below is an email I received from a IL PF rep. I'll post the "link" once it's on the state site. Thanks to all of you who helped out with this. It's now onto the Senate:thumbsup:

"Chapter Leaders,

HB 1493 has changed to SB 1566 and added sweeps protection (a huge win!). Please pass along to your chapter lists. I recommend using the link under the contact your legislator section as the quickest way to show support. This is a Senate bill, so please focus on your senators.

Thank You!"

"We're growing LOCAL wildlife, habitat and conservation leaders for today, tomorrow and forever."

Okay, got the link--- http://www.ihuntil.com/

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to read through this yet, but from what I've read, there's some good news for our the IDNR. Also, it looks like funds from hunting, fishing, firearms, etc can NO LONGER be used for other state agencies. The funds must be used for DNR purposes only.

Dear DNR constituent:

"The passage of the DNR Sustainability Bill (SB1566/FAQs) is a significant victory for conservation and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). What the bill does is allow the agency to keep state parks and sites open and begin to address a backlog of needed facility repairs, which now totals $750 million. It also allows us to address other program problems for the agency.

The bill took nearly a year to negotiate and included over 40 DNR constituent groups in talks, who worked with sponsor Rep. Frank Mautino for a consensus bill. A key component and big “win” for conservation included in the bill was the rarely used anti-sweeps language that ensures funds would not be used for other purposes than keeping state parks open and programs working. Governor Pat Quinn’s management and budget director also signed a letter committing to not sweep these funds and hold DNR’s funding level.

This level of commitment to DNR should not be a surprise. During Governor Quinn’s first week on the job and my first day on the job as Director, he signed a different bill that replaced diverted sportsmen’s funds that were swept by our predecessors. We have been working diligently ever since to protect these funds and use them for conservation.

The Sustainability Bill will take effect as law on January 1st, and we project that eventually it will provide DNR with an estimated $30 to $33 million dollars annually to be deposited into dedicated funds connected with each revenue source. There are several steps that the agency needs to take start collecting funds, such as creating rules and regulations and implementing IT infrastructure, and it will be 9 to 12 months before the agency begins to receive the new funding.

I would like to thank those organizations who supported the Sustainability Bill, negotiated its details, and worked for its passage. It is our intent to work as quickly as possible to take the necessary steps to capture new revenues and apply these funds to DNR parks and programs, create new jobs and promote economic development, and to restructure DNR for future generations.

We will uphold our mission of managing the state’s natural resources and begin to repair some of the past neglect from budget cuts. DNR constituents need to understand, however, that victory could be temporary because the state’s budget problems will threaten our progress in the near future. Pension obligations and unpaid bills squeeze agencies like DNR and make General Revenue funds less available for everyday operations. If lawmakers do not act to address the pension squeeze, then everyone’s hard work towards DNR sustainability will be erased by these larger fiscal problems.

Our success at the legislature is one step towards sustainability and demonstrates that we are swimming upstream faster than the current. Stay tuned and I will explain in a second email how you can help DNR and secure the progress we have already made."

Yours in conservation,

Marc Miller, Director

Illinois DNR

Here's some good news. One site will be in McHenry County too.:thumbsup: I don't know any other details about these sites. I'll post as info comes in.

"Dear DNR constituents:

Today at DNR headquarters, Governor Pat Quinn announced the use of dedicated capital funds for the acquisition of four new state-owned open spaces.

Included in this first round of Openspace Land Trust (OLT) acquisitions, is a 410 acre parcel in western Pike County, which will be opened for deer hunting and provide hunters with an opportunity to hunt in an area of the state that is both sought after for whitetails and is difficult to gain recreational access.

Additional sites were purchased in McHenry, Vermilion and Ogle Counties, and the total acreage announced today is 547 acres. These other sites expanded a state forest, established a new national wildlife refuge and preserved a small in-holding at a state park.

Throughout my directorship, I have sought ways to improve public recreational access and involve stakeholders in providing solutions to one of the great challenges to protecting our unique outdoor heritage. We have utilized a Farm Bill program to create the Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP), which has opened up 11,000 acres of private ground to youth turkey hunting and included other kinds of access. DNR is also working with groups like Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, National Wild Turkey Federation, Openlands Project and land trusts on ways to provide more opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.

We remain committed to protect our right to hunt and fish, and by providing public recreational access, working on getting youth, women and new constituents into the outdoors, and providing and protecting dedicated sustainable funding for conservation and DNR, we will be able to further our outdoor heritage for future generations.

To see more details on today’s announcement, please point your browser here. Our staff will be working diligently to pass rules that allow hunting programs at the Pike County property, and will seek to have these rules in place by June.

Thank you for your support of conservation, our heritage and DNR.

Yours in conservation,
Marc Miller
Director, Illinois DNR"

I hate the Quinn had anything to do with it( if he actually did) but I'll take it anyway!

I'm not even sure if this is going to go through:confused: I was working the Rotary outdoor expo this past weekend and spoke with a couple DNR folks. They haven't even heard of these projects yet. May just be talk for now.

I'll keep posting info as it comes in.

Back