Spraying

Just wanted to give my opinion on why pheasant numbers are terrible in Kansas, and I also it think effects other wildlife. I think ever since No-Till Farming, and the use of pesticides, and herbicides. Pheasants, Quail, Turkeys, and even deer in my part of the state have struggled. Why doesn't the state study it? We have family ground in North Central Kansas, and ever since 2010 (that's when No-till really became prevalent in the area) the wildlife just has never been the same. Yes, there has been drought, and weather patterns since then. But it is really pathetic, and I don't even want to know what it will look like in 10-20 years.

Lack of insects. Brood rearing requires insects. Main production of insects come from forbs, legumes, annual broadleaf weeds. The ability to keep crop fields and fallow fields weed free through herbicides reduces the insect numbers substantially thus decreasing brood success. I would not expect farm operations to return to weedy fields and fencerows, therefore, look to non crop acres and waste areas to produce broods in the future. Mature CRP stands with little to no forbs produce a very few insects. CRP can be improved for upland birds through disturbance, fire, grazing, all of which can wake up a seed bank of weeds and forbs, and interseeding forbs and legumes. I wish I had all the time and money to improve my acres to their full upland bird potential, but I fail too.

Back