Southern Iowa Birds

IA at heart

I was in DSM for a wedding this past weekend and as usual, packed the gun, license and boots in the trunk "just in case." The wife was sleeping pretty sound on Saturday morning so I snuck out at 6:30 and decided to chase a few birds.

I drove just less than an hour south of DSM, by myself and no dog, and hunted some public. In addition to an absolutely beautiful sunrise, I saw some nice bucks and plenty of birds. I hit one public spot, hunted just under two hours and probably saw close to 30 birds. Only one rooster got up in range, right at my feet actually as I had one foot in the air lifting it over an old fence post. By the time I got my balance and my feet under me and gun up, I only had time for one shot. Needless to say, no luck on that old bird. No problem, breeding stock for next year.

It was very, very encouraging to see the bird numbers I saw, especially the hens. I will be back at it in the weeks ahead but thought I would share some postive news on birds in a part of the state that has not seen alot of birds in recent years. Man it was good to get out there. As I have said for years, there is something about a pheasant getting up under foot that still gets my blood going like I was 10 years old again whether it ends up in the vest or not:)

Keep at em

Hello Ia at Heart,

We have much in common!:) The flush you described is what keeps me going out also. I have also seen a few more birds this year. Nothing even close to the glory days but better than last year. The mild weather is making it tough on us now. I watched 15 or so birds fly to an open field at 7:40 a.m. last week. The pressure has them leaving early and avoiding the cover. I often refer to this as the (middle season). You sometimes would swear that they are all gone.

Keep getting after em this year!:) With this mild weather a guy really has no excuse to stay home--other than golf or a picnic!:) We are to reach 67 degrees here in Iowa later this week. Just doesn't feel like bird hunting weather but I will take it!:p

Friends reporting significant deer kill in the southern counties of Iowa due to drought/disease. Do you know anything about this?

kbell - Yes, I have heard about the deer kill in southern Iowa. I believe most of it was EHD (I think thats what it is) caused by a biting midge or mosquito like bug. Kills the deer pretty quickly and most end up dead in or very near water. It sounds like some counties were hit harder than others. From what I have read, Madison and Warren counties appear to have been hit the hardest, at least in terms of reported cases. A good hard freeze kills the midge and all is good after that.

I dont think it will have any material impact in the long run but there are probably certain sections of land in pockets of southern Iowa where it will be a bit tougher than normal to fill your tag, not impossible just a bit more work than normal.

Where were you at? I haven't been out much around dsm this year, but am planning on hunting some public near Hartford.

Back