South Republican SWA

Stel67

I hunted this are way back in the 80's as a youngster and got my first duck and pheasant there. I went back for the first time since then last week to try and find ducks or pheasants. I must say the area is still beautiful. It has some of the best cover I have seen for pheasant. Found corn and wheat fields that looked amazing However I did not see a single bird.

Curious if any one on here hunts this area and if you see any birds.

I have driven through that area, out of season, but didn't see any birds ... plenty of deer though. The cover looks to be ideal.

As for not seeing any birds this year, despite the cover, that sounds typical for this year.

There are still a few birds out there, but they are few and far between. It used to be a great spot back in the 80's. I also shot my first duck and pheasant there too. I have some great memories of Bonny. Now that the lake is dry I have noticed that some of the pheasants are using the cover in the dry lake bed. But it is getting so thick that the birds just run and fly out of range. You need a good snow and cold to help bunch them up. But that doesn't seem to happen around here anymore!

I was just out there today, pretty crazy to see something that was once probably pretty nice totally abandoned. I'm new to Colorado in the last couple years and new to upland hunting and had this crazy idea I'd go looking for bobwhites. I did see two pheasant hens, but that's it. Lots of what looks like awesome cover for both pheasant and bobwhites, and lost of other wildlife, but I didn't get what I was after other than a good walk and some decent dog work (which is how I saw the hens).

Back