Solo hunter looking to join group next weekend (10/31/ to Nov2)

wyosteve

I am planning on getting in my truck solo, and heading to SD on Thursday 10/30, and staying through the weekend. I am comfortable hunting ditches and public areas alone, but would like to join a group on a pay to hunt deal on private land. (or join a group to hunt public). I have an experienced, but not polished, pointing lab that works close and finds some birds. I can push the fields with my dog, if you have people that prefer to block.... I am planning on heading to Chamberlain, but am willing to drive anywhere else as far east as Mitchell or so.
If you are a little light in your party and could use another hunter to help push the fields and/ or lower the cost, or fill out a group, let me know! Of course, I am willing to pay my fair share for the hunt. I am easy going and so is my dog, but we will hunt as hard as you want to. I just like to hunt and enjoy the country.

Heading up to the Huron area on 10/31/18 with a buddy of mine he and I are going to hunt all public land and will have 3 dogs between the two of us.

Feel free to contact me and we can meet you in the Wal-Mart parking lot the morning of 11/01/18 in Huron as we have a favorite spot within a mile or two.

John

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the invitation. That post was actually from 2014, it is interesting that Nov 1 is a Thursday again his year. LOL.
I may go to SD this year, but am not able to make it next week. Thanks again. Good luck!

This was my report from 2014.........I hunted solo out of Chamberlain last weekend. I found good hunting almost every where I went. After trying a walk-in the first day, I turned to ditches and got a limit every day; although a one man limit is not that many birds, I was able to flush enough roosters for me. Mostly flushed one, and sometimes two birds at a time, but a lot of roosters....I flushed a hen once, pointed perfect by the dog and I put my gun down just as it cackled; young rooster I guess. I think I probably flushed several of those but did not shoot...I hunted from Vivian to kimball and saw birds all along the way....There are lots of good ditches with plenty of cover, you will do good...Just stop and walk the ditches, there are birds in there, perfect for a solo hunter or maybe two people...Good luck......

Unfortunately my hunt last year (2017) sucked......I saw very few birds....I worked hard for just a few shots a day. All of my hot spots were nearly birdless, a private field near Chamberlain (pay to hunt) where I limited every day the previous year had 0 birds flushed......I traveled a great distance from Chamberlain, to Pierre and areas North hoping to find better numbers, finally found some way up north near the river on the east side....hope this year is better.

Back