Snakes around Sidney?

Mr_Tibbs

I am thinking of going out in early November around Sidney/Chappell. Are snakes much of an issue in that area by November/Late October? I’m not real familiar with the area and typical weather that time of year. Thanks!

I've hunted around McCook twice for pheasants (week long trip each time) and twice for turkeys (week long each) before and never even saw a snake out there. Not exactly your area in question but relatively close.

stay away from rocky, sage brush areas. any gully or wash can hold some snakes, temps vary, often out on warm sunny afternoons.
not a lot, but some are around.

Thanks for the replies. I am used to Eastern South Dakota and cold weather early plus no snakes. Now being in Colorado, I am finding I either need to wait until early/mid November for pheasant season to open, or deal with the possibility of snakes for early grouse seasons in Nebraska and Kansas.

I grew up in Sidney. There's plenty of prairie rattlers in the southern Panhandle. The good news is if you're chasing pheasants, you're not going to be in super snakey habitat. Like another mentioned, stay away from the low limestone outcrops in pastures. Definitely more of a consideration if you're chasing sharptails. Of course sharpie populations in the southern panhandle aren't amazing. They were almost non existent when I was a kid but they're coming back. Be careful around old homesteads. But that's always good advice due to multiple hazards.

Back