Small Victories (Partidge Pea fighting for space)

Had a nice walk on the farm today. Flushed 3 young of the year pheasants out of a newish patch of native warm season grasses. Not anything to write home about for many of you, but hopefully a reminder for those of us East of the Mississippi that with work a few birds can find a place. So hopefully the mods don't mind this being in the habitat forum!

Walking back to the truck through a mowed down patch of brome grass I noticed some little yellow flowers. When I saw what was down there under that mowed over brome fighting for space it put a little smile on my face. Wish I knew how it got there. This strip has never been seeded in natives before AFAIK.

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (2).jpeg

As I walked along looking I noticed there were quite a few down there fighting for air in this wretched turf grass. Keep hope alive guys! :love:

Last edited:
Yay, a great find in a brome covered area 👏.

I'm glad you posted this. I have been seeing a few plants on my land that share that same leaf pattern and was wondering what they were. I'll take a closer look next time. Might need to get some clethodim out next year!

I’ll share one. Had to look this one up - some jewelweed in a low spot on my land.

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpeg
    IMG_6422.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I've been using identify.plantnet.org which you can upload a picture and get an AI identification....Hopefully it isn't full of malware....seems like anything free on the web is suspect.

Had a nice walk on the farm today. Flushed 3 young of the year pheasants out of a newish patch of native warm season grasses. Not anything to write home about for many of you, but hopefully a reminder for those of us East of the Mississippi that with work a few birds can find a place. So hopefully the mods don't mind this being in the habitat forum!

Walking back to the truck through a mowed down patch of brome grass I noticed some little yellow flowers. When I saw what was down there under that mowed over brome fighting for space it put a little smile on my face. Wish I knew how it got there. This strip has never been seeded in natives before AFAIK.

View attachment 8555

View attachment 8556

As I walked along looking I noticed there were quite a few down there fighting for air in this wretched turf grass. Keep hope alive guys! :love:
Careful what you wish for. It was in my mix 20 ears ago. Today It still chokes out the blue stem and other grasses. I like it though!

Back