Single shots...old man's guns

Kismet

UPH Guru
As the years have gone by, I've pretty much narrowed my use of shotguns to my much-loved AYA sxs Matador II, 20ga imp/mod, and as the season progresses, to single shot shotguns. They're lighter for an old guy to carry and there are fewer birds around here (I don't travel much) to hunt, and truly, I like the hunt more than I need a brace of birds in the freezer, so I rationalize that when I find one, one shot ought to be enough to hit, or miss.

And I like old guns, 311s, Hercules singles (in 12 and 20), a derelict 20 ga Stevens 94H that I rescued from a farmer who backed into it with his tractor, an H&R 20 mod, and last year, a Winchester 370 12ga.

The 370 was long, though--30 inches--and full-choked. Nice enough, but...well, you know how you look at something and figure that you can make it better...or more well-suited to your particular needs?

So, after searching for someone who could do the work locally, dropped it off to bring the barrel down to 24 inches, and thread it for various chokes. I left an improved cylinder choke for him to match the threads. I think it was a Mossberg choke. The 370 is NOT a collectors' gun, so I feel no remorse.

My AYA has shown me I have the greatest success with improved cylinder on local birds over my dogs. I've had two GWPs and now, a rescued field Springer. My shots are rarely long, or I rarely take long ones, and the imp gives me...as I remember...67% in a 30 yard circle, which is 5% less than a modified choke would. I'm not saying others should use them, but it works for me.

I'll use it to jump ducks along the creek, and I THINK in the canoe drifting for them on the small river in the area. Of course, I'll try it behind Mick when season begins.

For the record, I very rarely lose winged birds, but a large part of that is because of the dogs I've had. If I was crippling and losing birds, I'd have to re-think my ideas.

Shotgun should come home in a week or so.

Wish me luck.
:)

Last edited:
I hear you - there's something nice about that slim frame on a single shot when you shake hands with it. They are my favorite when we're jumping in and out of vehicles hunting several areas - hit the lever, unload, toss it in the trunk/truck and move, reverse procedure to load.

Bonus - they're cheap as heck and most are able to be bought on a C&R license.

If only I were a good enough shot I would love to carry a single.

It's kind of like seeing an NFL player with the old single bar face mask. You sure don't see it very often, but when you do it really catches your attention.

"It's the singer not that song that makes the music move along"

I've found that carrying my single shot makes me a better shooter. More accurately (pardon the pun), it makes me take better shots.

If I load my A5 full up, I may take that marginal shot and either hit, or miss real fast with 5 rounds. With a single or double, I'll only take shots that are pretty much flying dinner.

Partially for the same reason, I only load my magazine guns with 3 rounds. I've sometimes hit on the second shot, but never on the third through fifth. I keep three rounds in case I get a multiple flush. I'm in Massachusetts - I've NEVER seen 2 or more flush at once in over 25 years - no kidding.

Back