Shooting Trap

bobeyerite

I went shooting Trap on Tuesday with my son Len. We shot at the Hauser Gun Club in Hauser Idaho. I got to tell this from the beginning. I have been having a heck of a time with a flinch. I'm lifting my head. I have figured out why. I feel a tingle in my cheek from the stock on recoil from the gun. Must be getting sensitive in my old age.

My son was in an Auto Wreck and shooting hurt his back and neck. So he bought a new Browning Silver Hunter Semi-Auto. I shot the last station he had with it the first day he shot it. I broke 4 out of the 5 birds. Then it hit me, you idiot you have a fairly new Remington 11-87 hanging in the gun rack for the past 4 years. It only has about 150 shells through it.

So, On Tuesday I took the 11-87 to see if I could get some help breaking this flinch. I was started on station 1. I missed the first bird, broke the next 4, Sta. 2 all 5, Sta. 3 all 5, Sta. 4 broke 4 dropped 1. Sta 5, broke the first 2, missed a hard right, broke 1, missed a hard right again, for a 21. At one point in there, I had run 17 straight. I was elated, and the 11-87 and I will be together the next time I shoot Trap.......Bob

Last edited:
Bob, glad you liked the auto. You might find out what I have know for years that there is no need to have a O/U or S/S. They are just a fad. In a few years I bet you will not even be able to find anyone who makes them anymore.

I've read that if you shoot enough, it's not a matter of if but when you'll develop a flinch. The first time it happened to me, I thought my safety was on; it wasn't. It's happened a few times since and it's the main reason I shoot as low recoiling shells as I can for whatever job.

I also try to remember to take a couple Tylonel before shooting clays.

Yes, I just got 7 boxes of Remington Traps loads LOW RECOIL, 7.5 shot. I plan on using them also to help cure my flinch..........Bob

One more thing I'd recommend if you're not already doing it is to upgrade your hearing protection. Plugs and muffs if you can shoot that way.

Bob, I have noticed that the lighter loads seem to help any sort of flinch. I don't know why, but occasionaly when I would should some of my extra ounce and a quarter 6 shot, my whole body would flinch. It was only when shooting clays or trap. But the lighter loads help. I only shoot my 870, but the less recoil on my friends 1187 helped him when getting started.

A 20 ga, or even a 28 with 3/4 oz loads will break them just fine from the 16 yard line. Shoot either in a gas operated auto, and I'll bet the flinch goes away.

I no longer own a 12 ga. Other than long shots at geese, I can't see any advantage over a 20.

J. I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I have been shooting 20 and 28 gauges for a number of years now. After 2 back surgeries, not related to shooting. I wanted to continue shooting and hunting. So It was either quit or go to the sub-gauges. For the 20 gauge, all my trap loads are around 1200FPS and are 7/8 ounce of shot. In the 28 I shoot 1200FPS 3/4 ounce of shot. The only place I use 1 ounce loads and a speed of 1220FPS is hunting with the 20 gauge. In the 28 I just up the speed to 1250 or 1275FPS, the shot load remains the same. I can get most birds from Quail to Pheasant with those loads and guns. Just different shot and chokes tubes..........Bob

bob - Are you saying that you get too much recoil from an 11-87 20 ga?

My wife, a 110 lb senior citizen, can shoot her 20 ga 1100 all day and is not bothered by recoil.

J. Not at all, that is why I took it off the gun rack after nearly 4 years and gave it a try. I like the way it shoots and I think it will help cure my flinch. I just looked up the invoice for the 11-87 and I bought it on 7/16/04. I shot it some a first year or so I had it. So my guess at not shooting it for 4 years is pretty close............Bob

Back