Sharptails

Is it worth hunting Sharpies in MN? Do folks go with seeing them consistently? Or us it a deal walk all weekend, hoping for 1 shot?

Plenty of Sharpies in MN. Do some researching and you can find good areas. Attached is a picture after one walk at a spot in MN. Currently planning another trip up there this fall.

Attachments

• GOPR0034.JPG
    GOPR0034.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 28
I'd like to try someday. Won't happen this year, but that's only because I've got the calendar full of other hunting trips!

I thought the DNR closed the season on Sharpies last year?

Just found last years' regs...open in NW section only, above HWY 2, 71, 1, and 53.

Last edited:
East Central region Sharptail population is hurting. Many years ago I went out on Sharptail opener on a new WMA just added to the DNR mix. The EC cover is quite a bit different than what I hunted growing up in ND. Did not see a bird.

The NW region has a better balance of Sharptail cover. I also believe that Sharptails really like small grain crops like wheat and barley. They love sunflowers, but that is other story in itself.

East Central region Sharptail population is hurting. Many years ago I went out on Sharptail opener on a new WMA just added to the DNR mix. The EC cover is quite a bit different than what I hunted growing up in ND. Did not see a bird.

The NW region has a better balance of Sharptail cover. I also believe that Sharptails really like small grain crops like wheat and barley. They love sunflowers, but that is other story in itself.
The Nature Conservancy also does a lot of work up in the NW area for sharpies and chickens. Which is great. Bonus of all that work is the ample extra public hunting land that's not on any MN DNR website. Any Nature Conservancy land up there is open to public hunting IF the land was acquired using any Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds. Signs up there are clearly posted which is open to public hunting and acquired via that amendment.

The down side is, that land is not easily found because it isn't on any maps that I've found. So you have to just drive and look for bright yellow signs. I once emailed the Nature Conservancy folks up there about any available maps or if I could buy a map of Nature Conservancy land. Never heard a peep back. I'm assuming they really don't want the land hunted on, because they're trying to preserve either Sharpies or a rare plant, etc. But they can't stop hunting because they acquire it using those funds.

The Nature Conservancy also does a lot of work up in the NW area for sharpies and chickens. Which is great. Bonus of all that work is the ample extra public hunting land that's not on any MN DNR website. Any Nature Conservancy land up there is open to public hunting IF the land was acquired using any Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds. Signs up there are clearly posted which is open to public hunting and acquired via that amendment.

The down side is, that land is not easily found because it isn't on any maps that I've found. So you have to just drive and look for bright yellow signs. I once emailed the Nature Conservancy folks up there about any available maps or if I could buy a map of Nature Conservancy land. Never heard a peep back. I'm assuming they really don't want the land hunted on, because they're trying to preserve either Sharpies or a rare plant, etc. But they can't stop hunting because they acquire it using those funds.
Making a donation to NC may help in obtaining a map the their properties.

On the road going north out of Nimrod there is a DNR plot (maybe 80-120 acres) developed for sharpies. Don't know how successful it is, and haven't been that way for a couple years...not open to hunting, of course.

Back