Seeing More Birds Than Ever!

pheasantaddict

With the harvest under way, I have been seeing more roosters than ever. In one buffer strip, I saw 75 roosters and in another I saw 100. No I haven't been smoking crack or tipping the bottle. But, I was dreaming and at least in my dreams there's still some birds in Iowa. I did see one pheasant today.

With the harvest under way, I have been seeing more roosters than ever. In one buffer strip, I saw 75 roosters and in another I saw 100. No I haven't been smoking crack or tipping the bottle. But, I was dreaming and at least in my dreams there's still some birds in Iowa. I did see one pheasant today.

nice dream dude:cheers:

Looks like the go old days are here again 5 miles of walking you might see a bird is considered good. Oh well I can us the exercise. What a dream:thumbsup:

maybe you were'nt dreaming. could be released birds:p only way you will see that many in iowa. good dream . i usally dream of ways to make capt cootie mad.

i do feel sorry for you guys in Iowa, used to be some of the best pheasant hunting around, hard to believe weather and cover have devastated the bird population to the degree it has....it will be a long time before things come back, unfortunately it doesn't look like the Iowa DNR is going to be much help.

i do feel sorry for you guys in Iowa, used to be some of the best pheasant hunting around, hard to believe weather and cover have devastated the bird population to the degree it has....it will be a long time before things come back, unfortunately it doesn't look like the Iowa DNR is going to be much help.

I've been thinking the same thing. I have high hopes for KS right now....seems like things are looking up for upland birds in KS and I'm fairly confident in the future. However, it would be depressing to live in a state that once had a great population of pheasants, only to end up w/o. Let's hope for the best!

Time for the furry animal kill. If I can't shoot pheasant I'm going to take my anger out on the things that are killing them. Don't worry I'll leave the DNR people alone for now:)

As a Michigander, I can relater to you guys. It has been real sad to hear and see what you guys are going through. My fear is that Iowa will become the next Michigan, in terms of pheasant.

As much as I like to rail against the DNR here in MI, I really can't hold them responsible for this one. The pheasant (at least here) is largly a private land bird. Corn subsidies and modern farming practices have teamed up for the demise. It seems like more of a federal issue to me. I'm not sure what the DNR could do to affect it. Maybe I'm over simplifying it.

That said, where private land owners have taken an interest in the pheasant, a few can still be found. Problem is its private land. I applaud them for the preservation, but it does most of the rest of us little good.

I'm learning to like grouse hunting. Problem is I'm nearly 2 hours South of decent grouse numbers. Sure does make it tough on a bird dog and hunter...

For those of you with birds out your backdoor, enjoy and never ever take it for grantid.

Yes, GSP Washington is a State where 1 bird is a good day. I went Quail hunting the other day Tony pointed, 2 Roosters and 8 hens. I am taking all bets we don't see them on the pheasant opener Oct.23...........Bob

I know what everyone is saying, but I did some a lot of birds Sunday out checking some duck hunting areas. Lots of hens and several roosters. Coot and BlackCloud should have a good year as well. I was up in your neck of the woods too and saw quite a few there, Of course many of them were flying in to a refuge. :(

I couldn't agree more with you all. Sad to see what has happened in that state. I used to go to the southwest portion of the state every year and still miss not going there because of the freinds we made there that we no longer see.

One thing I heard quite often when hunting in Iowa was farmers saying they wouldn't let out of state hunters hunt and that they hated out of state hunters. Guess they don't have to worry much about that now. However there were business owners that made their profits off of the out of state hunters like the bar and grills, motels, gas stations. In South Dakota hunting is the 2nd leading income next to farming. If I were a resident of Iowa I would be mad. I know the price of corn had a lot to do with the decline of habitat and weather certainly hasn't helped any but the people that ran that State sure haven't helped either. When they had tons of out of state hunters come in what did they do with all the license money? Obviously they didn't pour it back into the resource like SD and Kansas does. I just don't think most people see the big picture and how much our natural resources bring to the table.

My cousin is saying he is seeing plenty in Nth central IA as well as he picks. It's the same story every year, people think there is none , and then the corn comes out . And low and behold, they were in the corn.:confused: go figure. Stupid birds.:D

Back