Second Weekend Better

BritChaser

Cooler temperatures made for some tighter holding birds in NW this weekend. The winds made dog work difficult and, consequently, most flushes were not preceded by any warning. Gus did snap a beautiful reverse point while our line was going downwind in some CRP. A quarter of milo finally got cut on land I hunt and man oh man was it loaded with pheasants. The farmer called me while combining and said, "This field is lousy with pheasants." We also flushed four coveys of quail there. Another nearby quarter of milo was also "crawling" with pheasants as it was getting cut. We'll see to it next weekend. By next weekend more milo and corn should be cut with great improvement in hunting.

Last edited:
Just spent 4 days in the North Western Counties - Graham, Sheridan, Trego.

Lots of hunters. We had to lay claim to our piece of grass early. The rain on Monday put a big damper on our hunting making access to most of the areas we had been hunting impossible. Found most birds in cut milo. Still a lot of stand crops.

Three of us took 18 pheasants and 8 quail in 4 days. Had several nice points out of a 11 month old wire hair.

BritChaser I would sure love to know where one of your pheasant infested fields are!

i was in NW kansas last weekend, and we found most of our birds in milo too. cut and uncut. walked some great crp and wheat stubble, but didnt see near the numbers we did in the milo.

Back