SE Quail

braskie10213

Taking a couple extra days off with the holiday and wanted to try and hit up some public grounds in SE NE and try and bag some quail. The annual reports says the numbers are pretty good and I figured I may as well shake things up. There is a ton of literature for southern quail hunting but very little for Midwest, which I can understand why but just looking for any pointers or words of wisdom. It will just be me and my dog.

Thanks

I have had decent luck targeting an area like you are doing, pinpointing my hunting area and using a topo map to key in on likely habitat. I look for brushy/weedy areas near a food source and start there. It works good, however, feet on the ground always tell the tale. I also look at the DNR roadside count maps and consider that in my place to start, high bird count is a must for me.

Tell us how you do! Good luck...

Howdy from a former Nebraskan....

Braskie....I grew up in Omaha back in the 70's and 80's.....so take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt:) Southeast was always a good place to look for birds....and in my past experience, the closer you get to the Kansas line....the more quail we found. I know there has been much habitat loss in eastern Neb so things may have changed drastically since my days hunting there. It was common to get 8-12 coveys pointed per day back then...

Look for quality habitat with a food source nearby. Milo was usually a very good bet. Plum thickets offer birds a good place for cover and work your dogs around those and fence lines and weedy draws....old abandoned homesteads (if there any still around) would always hold a few coveys. Good luck and post your reports....GBR!

Back