SD Results

Doc Holiday

Sorry for the delayed post but wanted to post up on our hunt. Started south of Mitchel on the border and found plenty of birds on the first day but not many roosters. Shot 3 had misses on another 3 buy my hunting partners. My dad had a blast hammering Jack Rabbits. Funny to see my GSP's retrieving a Jack and it haning a foot from both sides of thier mouths.
We did see some PC's, and some Grouse but couldn't get close enough for shots, saw some actually in trees.

2nd and 3rd day hunted near redfield, really found the birds, in slews next to corn. Hunted the hell out of em. shot our 4 man limit both days. We probably pointed 75 birds a day. Thank goodness my dogs were in shape. Birds were really hitting the corn stubble hard as I am sure they felt the storm coming. I still can't believe the ability of birds to hide in corn stubble, and they were holding pretty dang tight. You would think that you could see a rooster hiding in the stubble with snow on the ground but wrong I was again. The weather man told us to get the heck out of SD and head for home. By the sounds of it we made it home just in time.

Just like the last few times all the locals we talked to were very nice and that is another reason I love SD. Had a great hunt and left plenty of birds (saw hundreds) for seed next year assuming they make it through the blizzard.

Had a great time and dogs and hunters stayed healthy.
Already can't wait till next year.

Congrats...sounds good. Did you guys hunt public/walk in lands or private? I usually hunt SD each year on the walk-in.

Sound like you guys had a great late season hunt. Did you come across many hunters?

didn't see many hunters, hunted public areas in the south then hit some private land up by redfield. There were a few guys out chasing birds but not a bunch.

Back