Scratched gun..

Remington44

So i took my girlfriend out to a buddies house yesterday to do some trap shooting.. She cant handle my 12 gauge so i bring out my .410 that my dad gave me when I was 8 years old and i let her shoot that. Its a nice looking single shot that i plan on giving to my kid as a first gun. As long as I've had the gun I've never put a single scratch into it. Well after my girlfriend did some shooting with it I decided to put a few shells through it. And i made the mistake of setting it up against the grain silo, the wind picked up and blew the .410 over onto the concrete and unfortnately put a nice knick into the top of the barrel and on the side of the butt stock. I was not very happy with my self as you could imagine. Does anyone have any times on how clean up the gun a bit?? any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the damage done.:(

My dog, my friends, myself, etc have done a number on a few of my guns. If they are worth cleaning up, or damage is so bad I'll go as far as replacing the part that has a dent, crack, or deep scratches.

It sounds like this gun may have some age to it so I'm not sure if part replacement this is possible.

Another option is bring it in to have the dent on the wood stock repaired. To be honest, I have no idea if the barrel is repairable.:confused: I'm sure someone else knows a bit more on the subject.

Good luck.

Nick

Dents in wood can be steamed-out, scratches rubbed with boiled Linseed oil, & the nick in the barrel cold-blued if necessary, otherwise keep it oiled. I call these things "character" and most all of my working guns have it. Enjoy the memory of shooting with your GF. Guns are "things;" memories are treasures. My 2-cents & likely grossly under-valued . . . cherish what Life gives you.

Dents in wood can be steamed-out, scratches rubbed with boiled Linseed oil, & the nick in the barrel cold-blued if necessary, otherwise keep it oiled. I call these things "character" and most all of my working guns have it. Enjoy the memory of shooting with your GF. Guns are "things;" memories are treasures. My 2-cents & likely grossly under-valued . . . cherish what Life gives you.

thanks for the info on repairing the gun. And i have to say i do agree with the memories being more important.

Back