Scouted a lot of NW IA roosters :)

bellahunts

For the last 6 years my wife and I visit family over the July 4th holiday in NW Iowa. With each visit, I go out early at least one morning and slow drive gravel roads looking for birds and knocking on doors. Over 20 miles I would usually see 2 or 3 roosters and a hen/brood or 2 but that was about it. On Tuesday I came across 11 roosters and a couple of hens from 6:30 to 8:30 over probably 25 miles. Mostly found them as singles on the road and they were spread all over the areas I drove, not concentrated in any particular area. I have not seen anything close to this many birds in July the last 5 years. I hit the Iowa opener each year on my way to hunt North Dakota and pretty excited.

Curious if anyone else is seeing a large increase in birds.

Last edited:
For the last 6 years my wife and I visit family over the July 4th holiday in NW Iowa. With each visit, I go out early at least one morning and slow drive gravel roads looking for birds and knocking on doors. Over 20 miles I would usually see 2 or 3 roosters and a hen/brood or 2 but that was about it. On Tuesday I came across 11 roosters and a couple of hens from 6:30 to 8:30 over probably 25 miles. Mostly found them as singles on the road and they were spread all over the areas I drove, not concentrated in any particular area. I have not seen anything close to this many birds in July the last 5 years. I hit the Iowa opener each year on my way to hunt North Dakota and pretty excited.

Curious if anyone else is seeing a large increase in birds.

all those lone roosters is not a good sign for the hatch........hens with broods is what's missing.

While I’m not usually driving the back roads I have seen more this year than most other years. I’m
in eastern part of the state. Dave

Back