Scaled Quail Day

walk213

Echo and I chased scaled quail in the morning and did pretty well. We drove up to Burlington in the afternoon. Walked many miles. She found me 2 roosters and I did not make either shot. Not my best day shooting. I think I need some time at the range.

http://www.huntfishgolfwork.com/pictures/

BTW: I have searched for dog boots for years. I brought these and love them so far.

https://dogbooties.com

Last edited:
Thank you. 3 big coveys of 25+ birds. I saw the first covey. They ran 20 yards ahead of us and split before flying. Interesting trick. Ironically, I struggled with the coveys, but picked off 6 singles. It was good to get Echo on the quail. It was hard for her to scent the birds. The more exposure the better.

yes that video is not what I would call great scaled quail habitat. Down here they like wooded areas, more places to hide. Great hunting on your part.:)

I don't regularly pursue scaled quail. We moved 7 coveys of bobwhite earlier in the season while pheasant hunting. I want to hunt scalies more often. That said, I have not made a real effort to seek them out. I see these coveys every year during deer hunting season. To that point, I take a few from each covey every year. I will do some research and give it a go at some point this year.

Good luck out there.

Here is my dogs sporting their new dog boots. Thanks to walk213 and dogbooties.com.
AD34C8DF-9284-45E3-85D5-F35B9488BE27_zpsamkmnqjd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Here is a picture of me and my dogs first scaled quail. My dad and I found a couple of coveys of bobwhite and a nice covey of scalies.

3A2952C9-2559-44BA-8B8F-BD1F157D13B4_zpscunuds1m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Here is my dogs sporting their new dog boots. Thanks to walk213 and dogbooties.com.
AD34C8DF-9284-45E3-85D5-F35B9488BE27_zpsamkmnqjd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Awesome! These boots are great. They're easy to put on, they protect and they stay on! Keep me updated on the performance.

Here is a picture of me and my dogs first scaled quail. My dad and I found a couple of coveys of bobwhite and a nice covey of scalies.

3A2952C9-2559-44BA-8B8F-BD1F157D13B4_zpscunuds1m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well done! Scaled quail and bobwhite in the same habitat is unique. I have never witnessed that. Congratulations.

Awesome and thanks for sharing! I am trying to get my Brittany on some quail. We do a lot of pheasant hunting and I'd like to do it more quail hunts just to mix it up. What area in colorado or Kansas do I need to be in to find them? I'm not asking for honey holes just the area of the state that I would have some decent success at finding them. Thanks!

My dad and I found scaled and bobwhites this year on walk in fields south east of Lamar. I have seen scaled quail at pueblo and John Martin reservoirs in the summer but have never hunted there. We have also found a few coveys of quail on swa along the south plate this year. Good luck, there is nothing like having a covey of quail explode at your feet.

Back