Rex Specs- Again

Chestle

I know Rex Specs/dog eye protection has been discussed a while ago. I re-read those threads.

Reports from where I’m headed say it’s been so dry that every leaf and blade of grass is razor sharp. That’s not good for the dogs.

So for those of you that have the Rex, any regrets or complaints? Still use them?

Anyone find any other brands that work as well or better?

I’ve not personally used them but another guide out at the club has on his labs and seems very happy with them so far.

On my GSP's its been hard to get a super secure fit. Thick cover they've had them pull over the face and up around the neck. Also pretty easy for them to paw them off (which you obviously need to train out of them.) In my opinion, they'd work a bit better for a lab shaped head where they sit more vertically like glasses on a human, than laid down across the nose and forehead. I am struggling to get my dogs to accept them enough to use in the field after we tried and failed last year. For now I will be using Musher's Secret around the eyes to try to prevent the rubbing a bit.

I have a pair and a setter that needs to wear them but I did not get them until she was an adult.

She always has bleeding around her eyes after a couple of half day hunts- she really does not mind busting brush at 11 years old.

however, she does not tolerate them very long.

I would think for a puppy or young dog, they would really work as they acclimate themselves to it.

I have zero complaints with the product.
Acclimating the dog to them is important as having them on their face is out of the ordinary. No different than getting them used to a collar or a leash.
Initially you'll want to have immediate control over the dog to keep them from trying to paw them off.
I started with only putting them on when he ate. He got used to them on his face and was more worried about eating than the goggles. Then started him wearing them on leashed walks, then with bumpers, then swimming in the water, then finally hunts.
Musher's Secret also works great. I coat his nose and muzzle with it, as well as around the eyes when I've forgotten the goggles.

Attachments

• 20211111_171756.jpg
    20211111_171756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I just put it on like a paste.....not globs, but not rubbed in. It eventually just absorbs in, so you may have to re-apply. I also use it on his feet and between the toes too.

Back