Resident Opener in SD

Pheasants4ever

Administrator
Can't wait to finally get the new dog out tomorrow for the SD resident opener! Bringing a buddy of mine with his young son to walk some public walk in areas. Probably gonna leave the gun behind and just bring a camera and let him work his butt off and have some fun. Can't wait!

Any Luck

Did you have any luck for the youth opener? I don't have any kids, and have never had the opportunity since this season was added. It's really good to have this opportunity to get youth involved in the outdoors.

Didn't hunt the youth opener this year, but did the resident opener on walkin areas. Went with a friend and his 10-year old son who really wants to hunt but knows he has to wait a few years. We went about 30 miles west of Sioux Falls and found a good size tract of land. Flushed about 20 hens and only 3 roosters, of which 2 flushed along the Vermillion river bottom-no shots. We got the one that my Shorthair pointed up at the end of a willow patch. Not a bad first day of "practice"!

Looking Forward to Saturday

No, that's not too bad at all. I can't wait until Saturday. I am heading back to my old stomping grounds around the De Smet / Carthage area...the boys back home say we'll be done in a hurry if we're not too rusty and the weather holds up.

Sounds like the weather will be perfect with a few flurries now but cooler-around 38 degrees-which is great for the dogs! If you do finish early what are your plans? Cards, beer, etc?

Last edited:
Short Hunt = Long Party

Well I think if we get cut short due to weather or get our limit early.....the party usually begins with multiple beverages and numerous old hunting stories. I hunt on my friends land and they've had 3 hunters from Wisconsin coming out for over 30 years so these guys have great stories. It's almost as fun as the actual hunt just listening to them talk.

Good Luck, I'm going to check out the local lounge now. Looked busy as I drove by.

The opening weekend was mixed. Did well south of Chamberlain on Saturday, but not everyone limited. Sunday, hunted south west of Howard. Seen very few birds and managed only two birds for two hunters.

I traveled to Pierre and back on Tuesday. Drove the highway between Kimball and Mt Vernon. Noticed a lot more crops out and a lot more birds dancing around the road.

Back