Red irritated Paws

hayduke

Went hunting Saturday and as my lab stepped out of the truck, he was real tender footed. I brought him in and checked his front legs and paws and noticed in between his toes on his webbed feet that they were slightly red and mildly irritated.
Cleaned and dried them off after we got home and today he seems much better. We hunted the same area two weeks ago and the snow was fresh and I didn't have a problem. This week the snow was a little more settled and frozen. We hunted with two other Labs that had no trouble at all.

The only other thing was as we were cleaning the birds my dog hung close to the cleaning area. I'm thinking maybe they spread some ice melt (salt) around that area. My dog had no problem while hunting just after sitting in the truck for an hour and a half coming home.

Is this unusually or have others had a similar issue after hunting in frozen snow?

Thanks
Peter

Yea that happens. Especialy when we go bare foot and stay out a bit too long. When I take some breaks in the car or warm truck,It doesn't bother. It will be worse on dogs that don't get out offten as well. If thats all it is he will be fine.
The snow melt stuff I am not sure of. Some of that stuff depending on what type can be very acidic and burn dogs feet. But what to do other then wash out the paws well I don't know. When we put it on the sidewalk I try to avoid the dogs from getting near it.

Tender Paws from Snow

All the dogs we hunted in the snow with ended up with sore paws including mine. I intend to boot my dog before any snow hunting next time.

Back