Rain

BUSTA WOOSTER

A few times in my upland career I have encountered some rain storms. Usually kept the gear and the pup in the truck. What I am wondering is how others have approached the rain. Do you hunt while it's raining? How have you seen the birds act during the rain and after? The few times I have seen birds flying in the rain, just seems like they run if you get on their trail.

Good question. I have never hunted pheasants in the rain ... 12 degrees and windy, or snow ... but never in the rain. :)

I have hunted a few times when there is a really light drizzle. Just enough to get you damp but not enough to make you quit. That is when you really appreciate the goretex. The dogs don't seem to mind and I can't say that it made much difference to the birds. They may have held a little tighter if anything.

It sure feels good to get into dry clothes and warm up afterwards.

Hunting when it is snowing can be more fun if it is cold enough that the snow doesn't stick to you and melt. Right around 30 degrees it is miserable.

Jerry

I have hunted in the rain a half dozen times and it can be miserable unless you have the right clothing on. Everything will get wet including clothing that is suppose to be water proof. On a bright note, the birds tend to not want to fly and also run less which can make for some easier hunting. You also will want to make sure you have good tires on your vehicle before attempting to hunt and don't hunt to far away from help in case you get your truck stuck. I hunted in a freezing fog storm a few years back and had one of the greatest pheasant days of my life when my buddy and I took limits in Colorado and Kansas all in the same day.

muddy roads

roads are likely to be the problem. if you can tolerate the wet, hunting in the rain would be wonderful, hard to come by in say, Kansas, sleet and snow more likely. the birds hold really well so it gives your dumb mutt a one up on a smart rooster. most of us know that if you can stand it, turkey in the rain is a great time to be in the field

cheers

Thank you guys for the info! Rare situation with the rain that I have come across in Jan. here. Didn't attempt the roads the first time due to the amount of rain and muddy roads. Second time, seen a rooster fly into the field. Couldn't get him to fly as he just keep running (only knew that by following the dogs nose).

These guys get it. I love hunting in rain and snow. The birds hold tighter and I get more close shots. When you shoot like me that's a big help. :(

I try to never wear cotton when doing outdoor stuff in the cold. It's hypothermia waiting to happen and I'm a big guy who perspires a lot. Nylon faced pants and a gore-tex shell and I'm good to go. I also try to keep a dry shirt in the car for when I'm done. My 2 cents.

Back