puppy training

bchunter

Something about seeing your puppy's first point. I know i was just doing training with a pheasant tail on a rope, but seeing her going on point and holding after giving her 15 to 20 minutes to figure it out at 8 weeks old puts a big smile on my face and gets me so excited for next season. If i could ever figure out how to post pics on here i would share them lol..it is almost more fun than going on a hunt haha

yeah that's nice to see them have some early pointing instinct but now that you know put it away.

Encouraging sight pointing is not a good idea.

you can teach "nose awareness" and let her to use her nose by laying a trail with a hot dog, just put it on a fishing rod and drag a hot dog chunk in a straight line 5 feet long with a piece at the end.

Once she figures that out and gets good at it hide the piece in some grass (don't lay the trail) and walk her past a the piece down wind of it by a few feet.

Its a simple trick beaglers and hound guys have been using for many decades to teach nose awareness in small pups.

I do it with all my little pups.

Last edited:
yeah that's nice to see them have some early pointing instinct but now that you know put it away.

Encouraging sight pointing is not a good idea.

you can teach "nose awareness" and let her to use her nose by laying a trail with a hot dog, just put it on a fishing rod and drag a hot dog chunk in a straight line 5 feet long with a piece at the end.

Once she figures that out hid the piece in some grass and walk her down wind of it by a few feet.

Its a simple trick beaglers and hound guys have been using for many decades to teach nose awareness in small pups.

I do it with all my little pups.

Thanks bobman..i actually had that tail on a fishing rod to keep it moving til she would hold the point and not attack it. I am gonna give her another week of it since she is only 8 weeks old and then move to scent training which we are also working on currently...she has a good nose on her and is able to scent the tail when i drag it through our pasture and hide it n a bush. I figure the more well rounded i have her the better off i am

C.A. Johnson always told me "never let a pup sight point with a wing on fishing rod". So I never did it. He felt it taught them to sight point instead of using their nose. When we trained setters back in the early 70's we always introduced them with a clipped wing quail. The 8 week old puppies would chase the quail but when the quail got to cover to hide they would point on scent. Pups learned to use their nose and would always point planted birds from that point forward.

That is good to know and dont plan on using it as a full training method..i was more interested in teaching her to hold her point and not jump on the bird and something that i can have control over. It got what i wanted accomplished done so that i can move onto live birds next weekend.

The first thing C.A. did when that pup pointed the first bird was to get your hands on him. Tell him whoa and and stroke his back and lift his tail. Develop style from the very first point. Always have a check cord on them. If you get a chance check out his book "Here, Whoa, Dead Bird". Hard to find copies anymore.

As far as getting the bird, my labs have birds in their mouth weekly from the time they are 7 weeks old. We let them pounce clipped wing pigeons, etc. Throw them live and dead birds. And they still point.

Last edited:
The first thing C.A. did when that pup pointed the first bird was to get your hands on him. Tell him whoa and and stroke his back and lift his tail. Develop style from the very first point. Always have a check cord on them. If you get a chance check out his book "Here, Whoa, Dead Bird". Hard to find copies anymore.

Thanks west..i had read that somewhere else as well and i actually did that..got her to straighten totally out and hold..we will be working live birds in the next couple weeks..i will keep you posted..and thanks for the heads up about the book

I seen one of C.A's books on Amazon for $10. I actually have one somewhere. Great book for someone wanting a gundog. C.A. was known for producing great gundogs back in the 50's 60's and 70's. Almost every quality bred setter goes back to his lines. Countless dogs in the hall of fame out of his dog Grouse Ridge John.

Your puppy is missing most of its tail. :eek:

:) Nice looking pup -- let the fun begin. At least theres a few more wild birds around on to let the dog chase around in a month or so.

Haha thanks kshusker..i prefer those short tailed dogs even though i have one of those long tailed dogs as well..and yes the fun has begun

Good looking Visla there BC. Those are handsome dogs, and I've never met one I didn't like.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over ruining your dog with a pheasant tail. They're smart dogs that have been bred for generations to sniff out birds. A few trips around the back yard won't undo all that.

I know you know it, but get him on some birds and he'll do just fine. Mike Eckman is a good guy and has reasonably priced preserve hunts right near you. He's flexible enough to tailor something specifically for you too.

Good looking Visla there BC. Those are handsome dogs, and I've never met one I didn't like.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over ruining your dog with a pheasant tail. They're smart dogs that have been bred for generations to sniff out birds. A few trips around the back yard won't undo all that.

I know you know it, but get him on some birds and he'll do just fine. Mike Eckman is a good guy and has reasonably priced preserve hunts right near you. He's flexible enough to tailor something specifically for you too.

Thanks ness..i am pretty fond of her already and she is extremely smart..you are right..eckman's is 10 minutes from my house..i love that place..he is one of the nicet guys i have ever met..i plan on taking her up there in february to give her some live bird/shooting action. We are buying some quail this weekend and letting her chase them around our pasture for a little bit.

Thanks ness..i am pretty fond of her already and she is extremely smart..you are right..eckman's is 10 minutes from my house..i love that place..he is one of the nicet guys i have ever met..i plan on taking her up there in february to give her some live bird/shooting action. We are buying some quail this weekend and letting her chase them around our pasture for a little bit.
Sounds like a plan.

I'm land-locked in town, so letting the dogs run is a bit of an effort. Where'd you get the quail? I would probably come out ahead getting my dogs to scent a quail in a cage, rather than spending the time on fruitless trips to the wildlife areas I can get to in a reasonable time.

Sounds like a plan.

I'm land-locked in town, so letting the dogs run is a bit of an effort. Where'd you get the quail? I would probably come out ahead getting my dogs to scent a quail in a cage, rather than spending the time on fruitless trips to the wildlife areas I can get to in a reasonable time.

That is what i plan on doing first is keeping them in a small cage and covering them with grass..i will either get them from a place south of eudora which i have to call tomorrow to see if they have any left..i think they do. If that falls through i will give muddy creek in meridan a call. Supposedly there is also a place in louisburg that has them.

Back