Pup will be ready for next years pheasant season

sjohn

I had Willa in SD first week in December and she did great. After a 45 day South Carolina woodcock season, she has really begun to put it together. The attached clip was taken the weekend after the season ended but I wanted to get a good video of her on point. I obviously have to work on the release command. I have always had labs and this is the first one that has taken to pointing.

And to all that are being impacted by this bad winter storm, stay safe.

It will get into the 80s today. It was middle 50s when video was taken. Ticks are not too bad in the upstate around Clemson where i live but once you go about 80 miles towards the coast, the tick counts increase dramatically. The ticks are active all winter and sometimes you will come home with dozens of immature ticks on you and your dog.

Go Tigers! Have had some good days over in Fantz. Had a funny time out there turkey hunting when a young couple decided to start undressing and doing the dirty in the field I was set up on. When i stood up to interrupt them the girl said "I was wondering why that turkey wasn't moving" --- was cockblocking turkeys and fellow students out there.

How was the woodcock season down there? I used to help set up the woodcock catch nets near campus for the wildlife majors numbers steadily went up.

I had Willa in SD first week in December and she did great. After a 45 day South Carolina woodcock season, she has really begun to put it together. The attached clip was taken the weekend after the season ended but I wanted to get a good video of her on point. I obviously have to work on the release command. I have always had labs and this is the first one that has taken to pointing.

And to all that are being impacted by this bad winter storm, stay safe.
What kennel is she from? She looks really nice.

Dry Pond Kennel in Johnston, SC. They do not breed yellows very often, mostly chocolates. Looks like you have a nice fox red. They are kind of hard to find. Willa is 1/2 fox red and 1/2 normal yellow... if that makes sense. Dry Pond kennel doesn't own any dogs, she just provides a breeding service for a few trainers and maybe past clients. She also has a contract where she provides dogs to an organization that trains them for military service members. I had a good experience and after I got my puppy I found out another friend of mine had gotten his lab from the same kennel about 9 months earlier.

Dry Pond Kennel in Johnston, SC. They do not breed yellows very often, mostly chocolates. Looks like you have a nice fox red. They are kind of hard to find. Willa is 1/2 fox red and 1/2 normal yellow... if that makes sense. Dry Pond kennel doesn't own any dogs, she just provides a breeding service for a few trainers and maybe past clients. She also has a contract where she provides dogs to an organization that trains them for military service members. I had a good experience and after I got my puppy I found out another friend of mine had gotten his lab from the same kennel about 9 months earlier.
My boy Whisky just turned 3 yesterday. He is a Fox Red and is from Hunters Point Kennel in Iowa. He is out of Capone and Georgia.

Attachments

• 30738E6C-A7AF-49F5-9DD3-43D8F9DED17D.jpeg
    30738E6C-A7AF-49F5-9DD3-43D8F9DED17D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 73EF1796-BFAE-4DDA-B1D5-0140E10DD1F1.jpeg
    73EF1796-BFAE-4DDA-B1D5-0140E10DD1F1.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 12
  • C23CBF70-2C78-4527-85FD-353A4FAF41EE.jpeg
    C23CBF70-2C78-4527-85FD-353A4FAF41EE.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 21810E53-B194-4F43-B609-CB883228020E.jpeg
    21810E53-B194-4F43-B609-CB883228020E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
Thank you. We actually went out on our last hunt of the year, today. A preserve hunt for chukar.
I pick up my new black lab puppy in the beginning of April. It will be my 3rd dog, luckily my oldest which just turned 14 is still around but her hearing is shot and her joints can't stand up to hunting anymore. This dog will be my 3rd different breeder and hopefully this will be another good dog. She will be young come hunting season at right around 8 months but should do fine other than the occasional missed bird. My new puppy is out of 4 Leaf Labs in wisconsin.

LC Sminth, Wiskey looks very similar to my Fox Red "Harper" I got from High Caliber Labs in Lenox SD. Whiskey is a very good looking dog.

Attachments

• harper profile.JPG
    harper profile.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Haper mixed bag.JPG
    Haper mixed bag.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I just checked Hunter's Point kennel and their dogs are very affordable and with titles. In the southeast you can't hardly get a backyard bred dog without training or hunting experience for under $500. I would have driven to Iowa or Wisconsin for the price difference.

Waterdog09, I'm sure your pup will be well prepared for next fall.

Willa looks great!! Enjoy. Just so there is no misunderstanding, the $500 is a deposit. Otherwise I'd buy two!!

LC Sminth, Wiskey looks very similar to my Fox Red "Harper" I got from High Caliber Labs in Lenox SD. Whiskey is a very good looking dog.
Thank you for the kind words. Harper is a good looking pup. I know Andy and Tigh from High Caliber, as I have spent time with them during hunt tests. Tigh is a judge for APLA as well. High Caliber has some really good dogs and would not hesitate in getting a Lab from them.

I spent a lot of time talking with Justin at HPK on what I wanted, thought I needed, and what a good pairing would be. We decided on this pair and it was perfect.

I just checked Hunter's Point kennel and their dogs are very affordable and with titles. In the southeast you can't hardly get a backyard bred dog without training or hunting experience for under $500. I would have driven to Iowa or Wisconsin for the price difference.

Waterdog09, I'm sure your pup will be well prepared for next fall.
I think someone else pointed it out that the $500 or so was just the deposit. It was an 8hr each way for me to go get him and I am so glad I made the trip.

Who are the parents to Harper?

My bad. The price did seem way out of line. And I would have driven 8 hours one way for a good dog too. Harper was from Wilkman's Buddy (sire) and Chamois' Bella Mae (Dam). I never met Andy but have talked with him a few times obviously. He was recommended to me almost 10 years ago.

Back